DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently June 17th, 2024, 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: May 20th, 2024, 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: July 17th, 2016, 6:24 am
Posts: 1122
I always wondered how does current know not to pass thru open wires. It doesn't, it learns by probing, not once but 8 times.

very interesting video.


https://youtu.be/2AXv49dDQJw?si=DEhenh21eBY9XZKs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 21st, 2024, 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 15th, 2015, 7:19 am
Posts: 1701
Location: Baltimore MD
Trying to understand the implications of this and how it relates to audio.
His set up to measure this is nowhere set in reality, and are these effects even present in an audio system.
The fact that electricity travels down an open circuit and bounces back makes no since to me.

Also what has been popular for a while now is the grounding enhancements that cost a fortune and have you connect components grounds to a box that goes nowhere and supposed to reduce noise and have better focus if one is to believe the hype.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2024, 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 17th, 2016, 6:24 am
Posts: 1122
Pelliott321 wrote:
Trying to understand the implications of this and how it relates to audio.
His set up to measure this is nowhere set in reality, and are these effects even present in an audio system.

I posted it because, it shows how the current/electors flow in a circuit. Haven't seen this level of detailed explanation anywhere.

Since the circuit settles down in nanoseconds after startup, there should not be any effect on audio in run-time.
The most interesting part of the experiment was, how he used an oscilloscope's frequency to measure how the current flow in a circuit. Very smart setup.
Quote:
The fact that electricity travels down an open circuit and bounces back makes no since to me.

Come to think about it, there is current present in open circuit, it is just not going anywhere. That explains why we get shock when we touch open wires.
Quote:
Also what has been popular for a while now is the grounding enhancements that cost a fortune and have you connect components grounds to a box that goes nowhere and supposed to reduce noise and have better focus if one is to believe the hype.

May be experts like David Berning can explain the phenomenon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2024, 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: February 19th, 2017, 9:43 am
Posts: 532
We get a shock from an open circuit because when we get the shock current is flowing, it is not open any longer.

He is seeing reflections in the video, it's not a newly discovered phenomenon.

_________________
I have too much stuff - https://www.pleasebuymystuff.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2024, 4:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2013, 10:38 am
Posts: 1698
A wire that ends is only an open circuit at DC. For any f>0, it’s an antenna, and current flows in antennas just fine…

Roscoe

_________________
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group