DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave Pogue has Passed
PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 1:27 pm 

Bob Olson just told me that Dave Pogue, a dear audio friend for many of us, passed last night just a few days before his 95th birthday. Dave would come to our monthly meets (when we still had them), and invite us over to his place for get-together, and actually paid for a room at 2nd Capitol Audiofest on our behalf so we could show our DIY builds and compete with the commercial guys. Anyway, there are lots of great memories with Dave, and please send our thoughts to Terry, his wife.

David

PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 1:34 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Bob Olson just told me that Dave Pogue, a dear audio friend for many of us, passed last night just a few days before his 95th birthday. Dave would come to our monthly meets (when we still had them), and invite us over to his place for get-together, and actually paid for a room at 2nd Capitol Audiofest on our behalf so we could show our DIY builds and compete with the commercial guys. Anyway, there are lots of great memories with Dave, and please send our thoughts to Terry, his wife.

David

He had a good run. RIP!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 1:51 pm 

Dave was like the patriarch of this audio clan and so many great people here I've become close to. He was so interested in music and lived out that passion better than anyone. We'll need to have a meeting this summer in his honor with some tape machines.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 2:57 pm 

Dave epitomized what made the DC Audio DIY group so great. His selfless behavior, generous spirit, and love of music and audio systems set the highest standards for all of us to follow. He will be missed and remembered and we are all so grateful and blessed to have had him in our lives.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 3:42 pm 

Even though at 95, Dave had a great run, it is always sad when such a good person passes. I met him several times at his house and also at David Berning's and he was always warm and willing to discuss anything. Even though I have not seen him since I moved to Philly, he will be missed.

Tom

PostPosted: April 4th, 2024, 10:40 pm 

I first met Dave through his wonderful wife, Terry. Sometime around 1997 I think, I had done a reading for a book club, I'm sorry to say I don't remember the details. Terry was there and we struck up a friendship, as she was then very involved with an audiobook chat group. Not long after that, a very well-known narrator, Frank Muller, came to town doing readings for various libraries. Terry invited Tanya and me to a party held in Frank's honor. Frank was quite the star of the burgeoning audiobook business at that time. I'd been narrating books for 15 years at that point, often under pseudonyms, and it never occured to me that you could actually becomea "star" narrator! Frank was very gracious to me and we had a nice conversation. But the party was in Dave's listening room and of course I noticed the stereo system, which at that point was mostly Conrad-Johnson stuff. Terry said, "Oh, if you're interested in that you should meet my husband." That was that. ;-)

Over the years, Terry and Dave were enormously kind to us, and actually helped me to further my audiobook career. When some upheavals occured in the industry in the early 2000's, I had to "re-invent" myself and Dave helped me craft a mailing campaign that eventually led to a complete revival of my career. Some of you may not know this, but at the time we met Dave he had just sold his very successful advertising business. Years before he had come up with a clever idea for marketing products through want-ads, and it made him a lot of money.

Tanya and I were very lucky to have Dave and Terry as friends. A party at their house guaranteed superb food and a chance to ogle their amazing art collection. I know I owe him more than I can estimate.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2024, 9:19 am 

Speaking of tape, Dave was very much devoted to this format. He made for me many dubs of his wonderful, mostly jazz, recordings using his two Otari machines. I would second Jim's idea of having a get together this summer in honor of Dave. We could have it at my place and play those tapes for the entirety of the meet.

Some of the more notable features of Dave's audio cave included many shelves of recorded music on both tape and phono, Grover's 845 amp builds, various tube tape head preamps (one built by Stuart), the two Otari machines, and a phono equalizer that could accommodate the various early 78s. But Dave would follow the audio forums and alert me whenever he saw a thread about something I had built.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2024, 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Truly sad news. Dave was one of the good guys for sure. He will be missed.

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 5th, 2024, 12:25 pm 

I'm saddened to hear this: our world just got a little smaller. He was a good guy and a friend to us crazy listeners.