DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 5th, 2024, 12:27 pm 

Another problem I am having is the assertion the findings a single pair of speaker apply to the entire production of that make and model.

For example, He found the woofer in Vienna Acoustics Mozard Grand speaker to be bad. FR curves published by GR Research are very bad.

Attachment:
vienna_acoustics_mozart_fr.jpg
vienna_acoustics_mozart_fr.jpg [ 54.58 KiB | Viewed 907 times ]

Dave is selling the upgrade kits for this model, based on one pair of speakers he tested. The assumption/assertion seems to be, entire range of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand speakers are that bad. In my personal experience, they are very good speakers for the money and find it had to believe his findings apply to the entire production range of this model.

TAS Review contradicts with Dave's findings:
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mozart-grand-loudspeaker-1/
Quote:
The Mozart Grands are very, very good speakers. They have one quality I’ve never heard before in loudspeakers in this price range.

I tend to believe, some poor chap got a defective pair and approached Dave to make it better. To market an upgrade kit based on one, potentially defective, pair of speakers is not the right thing to do, IMO.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2024, 2:25 pm 

What is the contradiction? Measurements?

Were TAS measurements in conflict with Danny's? I may have missed them, but I didn't see them.

Just because something sounds good doesn't mean that it is high in fidelity, or accuracy to the truth of what was recorded.

I haven't checked a substantial number of the tested speakers in question, so I can't speak to what you "tend to believe ".

By all means, if you think that the service supplied is a scam, then don't use it. But there is no way someone providing the testing service that Danny does, at no cost, is going to be able to test a preponderance of a line of speakers produced to ensure that they all are generally the same in performance.

There are a lot of people who believe that manufacturers purposely design speakers with terrible response curves such as you posted. They speak up all the time to defend the product that their favorite brand produced. Okay. Believe what you will.

I went to Texas (in fact I'm still there) to hear for myself what Danny's speakers sound like. I surely don't trust reviews in glossy magazines (ask David Berning why) and question other reviews as well. I wanted to hear for myself. I did. I am confident of the quality of the speaker kits being produced. I'm also convinced of the veracity of both New Record Day Ron and Danny.

If you are not, okay, that's fine.

Stuart

PostPosted: February 5th, 2024, 2:28 pm 

By the way, Danny did mention in a video awhile back that Rich Hollis had the only electronic crossovers that he had heard that came close to the passive ones that he builds. He did acknowledge at the time that Rich has probably gotten still better since.

We are lucky to have Rich in the group and to be able to seek out his advice.

Stuart

PostPosted: February 5th, 2024, 2:59 pm 

I will give a story here.

A long time ago I bought a pair of VMPS QSO-626R speaker kits and tried the passive crossover externally. No matter what I tried it sounded meh. Also the opinion of all the listeners that heard them.

Danny had designed a new passive crossover for the same speaker and I bought the parts. It sounded and measured much better than the original with whatever settings on the L-Pad's I tried.

This was with the FST ribbon tweeter and Level 9/Sonigistix 13 slot planar mid. so the best drivers sold for the speaker kit.

I lost the speakers in the room water problem. The box was shot. I saved the tweeters and midranges. Rest went in the dumpster.

Believe what you will, but in the case where I tried both, Danny's redesign of the crossover sounded excellent.

Now I do my own with the DSP crossover he heard at LSAF. He was happy! :)

PostPosted: February 5th, 2024, 3:01 pm 

Stu,

You completely missed my point and went into defensive mode.

While I do appreciate the work he is doing, I have to question the practice of selling replacement woofers for ALL Mozart Grand speakers without establishing they are bad. At one time, I was auditioned Mozarts for a week in in my home, so I know how they sound.

One more point. He is providing a valuable service, but he is not doing charity out of good will. His is doing business. Nothing wrong with it.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2024, 10:45 am 

Stu, thanks for the write-up, it sounds like an interesting visit. I find GR's videos interesting, it is nice to see how commercial products measure and what is inside the box.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2024, 4:13 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Stu, thanks for the write-up, it sounds like an interesting visit. I find GR's videos interesting, it is nice to see how commercial products measure and what is inside the box.

If you haven't watched any of New Record Day's reviews, they are pretty good. Give them a try.

There are sound clips available in several of the reviews, and it is amazing the differences that are audible , even with (in my case) a chip amp and Minimus 7 speakers through a compressed YouTube format. Ron does a very nice job with his reviews.

Stuart

PostPosted: February 25th, 2024, 11:27 am 

My wife is awesome!

Attachments:
20240225_101245.jpg
20240225_101245.jpg [ 4.1 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]
20240225_101220.jpg
20240225_101220.jpg [ 3.99 MiB | Viewed 404 times ]