Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Tidal moving away from music serving

December 13th, 2023, 7:52 pm

The cost per stream is a variable cost. Quboz makes it money from subscribers who pay for but don't use the streaming service often.

ray

December 14th, 2023, 11:21 pm

I like Qobuz very, very much. In the same way that an iPhone is something the richest man on earth could only dream about a mere thirty years ago, to me Qobuz presents riches beyond imagining. ;-) For $15 a month I can listen to an endless catalog of beautiful music any time and anywhere--at home, in my car, on a dog walk. I find it really extraordinary. And on my home system, played through Audirvana, it's every bit as good sounding as a CD or FLAC. I also like that if you really love an album and want to preserve it, you just go and buy it for $12.

I think they will hang in there as the other services redirect their focus.

December 16th, 2023, 3:57 pm

I was just hit with the annual Qobuz subscription fee - $130, which works out to just under $11/mo. Its the 3rd year I've been a subscriber and I've found it to be an exceptional value and quite the joy for all the music I've discovered and not had to buy to do so! Yes, I still buy music - most recently buying much of Al Petteway's Cd releases since his recent and unexpected passing. But since the first year when I did NOT have to buy the then new Robbie Robertson to find I didn't care enough to own it, its been saving me much money!
I'm using the WiiM pro streamer and a Topping E30 II DAC (I like seeing the bitrate details of the music I'm streaming).

December 16th, 2023, 7:43 pm

I "stream" for free via FM radio. :crazy:

December 16th, 2023, 8:15 pm

Except you don't get to chose the music with FM.

December 16th, 2023, 9:14 pm

...and here the classical station is brutally compressed.

December 16th, 2023, 9:15 pm

hjames wrote:I was just hit with the annual Qobuz subscription fee - $130, which works out to just under $11/mo. Its the 3rd year I've been a subscriber and I've found it to be an exceptional value and quite the joy for all the music I've discovered and not had to buy to do so! Yes, I still buy music - most recently buying much of Al Petteway's Cd releases since his recent and unexpected passing. But since the first year when I did NOT have to buy the then new Robbie Robertson to find I didn't care enough to own it, its been saving me much money!
I'm using the WiiM pro streamer and a Topping E30 II DAC (I like seeing the bitrate details of the music I'm streaming).

I should do the annual fee, it would save me $50.

December 17th, 2023, 1:25 pm

Grover Gardner wrote:...and here the classical station is brutally compressed.

I don't know where "here" is, but WBJC @ 91.5 mHz. updated all their equipment about a decade ago and I am using a text-book tube tuner that I hot-rodded and the sound quality is surprisingly remarkable. :violin:

December 17th, 2023, 1:52 pm

At the end of the day, you spend $130 and have nothing to show for. Plus, fees can go up in price (they always do).

December 17th, 2023, 2:15 pm

at the end of my musical listening day I have experienced a lot of new music.
When I use to read the magazine reviews and the editor mentions some music he used during the review and I found what he/she said about the music I would buy it. Now I just find it on Qobuz. I am pretty sure this has saved me more that the subscription cost over time.
Post a reply