DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 17th, 2023, 3:06 pm 

In 2005, the Chicago section of the AES had a monthly meeting at the studios of WFMT which I attended. They had also invested a significant amount of money in their studio. When the attendees asked the studio manager (who happened to have the last name McIntosh) if they used any compression and the answer was of course. Most broadcast music is listened by people in the car or at work. Compression is a necessity. One of our members in the Philly group does the show 60's Gold for Sirius XM and he also said there is significant compression for the same reasons. I'm including a few photos from the WFMT visit.

Attachments:
DSCN0165.JPG
DSCN0165.JPG [ 243.66 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
DSCN0159.JPG
DSCN0159.JPG [ 227.29 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]
DSCN0154.JPG
DSCN0154.JPG [ 235.22 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

PostPosted: December 17th, 2023, 3:50 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
At the end of the day, you spend $130 and have nothing to show for. Plus, fees can go up in price (they always do).

No, actually, at the end of the YEAR ... its an ANNUAL fee, not a daily fee (please try and keep up ..) ;)
And frankly, it actually went DOWN since the first year I subscribed to Qobuz.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2023, 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

mix4fix wrote:
At the end of the day, you spend $130 and have nothing to show for. Plus, fees can go up in price (they always do).

Yup. Just like cell phones, Internet access and cable tv. Guess you don’t have any of those either :angry-banghead:

PostPosted: December 17th, 2023, 4:33 pm 

I suspect a major beneficiary of streaming services are the lesser-known artists, lesser-known composers and music. It's so easy to just try something new and to see if it appeals. I also really enjoy exploring many of the classical reissues.

As I get older, I realize more and more that we don't own anything and are really just renting everything. I am fortunate enough not to be able to spend all of my money, partially because here in Hervey Bay, there is not much to spend money on and Social Security is more than enough. Effectively, after years of being a tightwad, everything is free.

ray

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 4:44 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Yup. Just like cell phones, Internet access and cable tv. Guess you don’t have any of those either :angry-banghead:

ratbagp wrote:
As I get older, I realize more and more that we don't own anything and are really just renting everything.

You typically don't. I will never understand why a bought a phone 10 yeas ago and the cell phone provider demanded it back.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 8:41 am 

ratbagp wrote:
You typically don't. I will never understand why a bought a phone 10 years ago and the cell phone provider demanded it back.

Yep, I sure don't understand that either. I have NEVER had that experience. I either sold my old phone back after 5 years when I got the new one, or tossed it in my drawer and donated it to a charity later.
No one ever "demanded" the old phone back since I bought it outright when I got it.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 1:45 pm 

hjames wrote:
ratbagp wrote:
You typically don't. I will never understand why a bought a phone 10 years ago and the cell phone provider demanded it back.

Yep, I sure don't understand that either. I have NEVER had that experience. I either sold my old phone back after 5 years when I got the new one, or tossed it in my drawer and donated it to a charity later.
No one ever "demanded" the old phone back since I bought it outright when I got it.

I never gave any of them away (too many times "charity" turns into giving people things they don't deserve).

But, I gut a storage container full of junk including old phones and chargers. Want a flip phone? Blackberry?

(I'm keep the old school beeper)

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 2:08 pm 

Don't particularly care about your views on charity - its OFF TOPIC.

I like good tech, and am willing to pay a fair fee to get it.
I've had Qobuz for 3 years now, its an amazing service for about $11/mo (paid annually)
Frankly, anyone joining a thread discussing Streaming services that doesn't have any streaming service
is just thread crapping and wasting our time.
Good day sir.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 2:48 pm 

hjames wrote:
mix4fix wrote:

No, actually, at the end of the YEAR ... its an ANNUAL fee, not a daily fee (please try and keep up ..) ;)
And frankly, it actually went DOWN since the first year I subscribed to Qobuz.

I'm not a fan of buying digital content like music, TV, and movies. I will never purchase those because you end up with nothing. Nothing to have and collect. Like the saying goes: at the end of the day, you have nothing (literally).

I'm not against the streaming of anything. Some of the "renting of bandwidth" is a necessary evil. But, more and more think that so many things we as a society are involved in are not worth the price we pay (not just financial).

PostPosted: December 18th, 2023, 3:04 pm 

I have shelves of CDs in my home, and have ripped them (losslessly) onto my local iTunes system.
I have bought almost no lossless digital tracks, since I want the actual media for backups.
but for casual listening I like streaming, since its a painless way to sample an artist and
find out if I want to buy their CDs ...
Attachment:
CD_Shelves&electronics-resized_3189.jpg
CD_Shelves&electronics-resized_3189.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 3369 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next