DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DSP Crossover Advice
PostPosted: May 20th, 2023, 3:45 pm 

If you were buying or building a dsp crossover for a 4-way stereo system (8 channels) what would you buy or build. In some discussions I have seen the advice to get a digital to digital crossover and use separate DAC's. If you suggest this please suggest a DAC because it would either have to be 8 channels or if multiple DAC's are used the would need an input for a word clock so the outputs are synced and don't drift with respect to one another.

Post subject: Re: DSP Crossover Advice
PostPosted: May 20th, 2023, 4:05 pm 

If you look at the Danville Signal dspNexus 2x8 system it is both DSP processor and HiRez 8 channel DAC with low phase jitter clock. Has stereo analog inputs, USB2 Audio and S/PDIF interfaces for connection.

Depends on price point you are looking at, but sound quality wise it competes with anything out there for capability and sound quality.

Just finished the new Magnetar II planars and two 3x12in servo sub systems and very happy with the results.

Good luck with the search.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2023, 5:08 pm 

I agree with Rich. Currently I have the DEQX Express II but it only has 6 channels and since adding the distributed subs I need 8. Rich brought the first Danville dspNexus 2X8 over for a listen and it sounded great. I ordered an early adopter version which should arrive later this month. I tried using a nanoDSP with multiple DACS and timing was an issue. To make it work you would probably have to use an external master clock for everything. With the DEQX or Danville units everything is internal with a master clock for everything. My guess is that as far as processing power and ADC/DAC quality, you would be hard pressed to better the Danville.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 1:14 am 

Is that for your tweeter/horn/woofer project?

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 6:50 am 

mix4fix wrote:
Is that for your tweeter/horn/woofer project?

Which one of us is this question for?

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 8:50 am 

Sort of. I have a new miniDSP Flex 8 that I was going to use on the new speakers but would be better used to upgrade from the miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8 currently on my home theater in the basement so the answer is yes. What I would really be tempted to do is build a system using the Celestion Big Red Horn and Axi2050 driver but have found no place to buy the Big Red Horn (I haven't got a reply from Celestion yet).

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 10:00 am 

I knew nothing about multichannel DACs but I just bought a couple of Magnequest transformers from Thom at Galibier Audio and saw that he has on his specials page an Exasound E38 DAC that Lynn Olsen is selling. Go to this page and scroll down: https://galibierdesign.com/specials/#exasound
I have no interest in this, and as I said, I don’t know anything about this genre, so I don’t know if it’s appropriate or not, but I thought I would mention it. Good luck with your endeavor.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 12:01 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2182

This one.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2023, 5:07 pm 

Update on speaker build -

Attachment:
Horn_Front.jpg
Horn_Front.jpg [ 269.11 KiB | Viewed 6654 times ]

Attachment:
Horn_Back.jpg
Horn_Back.jpg [ 283.19 KiB | Viewed 6654 times ]

The table on the left has the Amplifier (Emotiva Basx A6), miniDSP Flex 8, and HTPC. The subwoofer under the speaker is a Parts Express 15 inch driver and sealed enclosure kit.