DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 25th, 2023, 11:12 am 

My new cable modem has two network ports on it. I want to connect two cables and have a faster, redundant link. Since my router needs to be replaced as well, any recommendations on one? Also, any recommendations on a switch to assist down the line closer to the computers?

PostPosted: March 25th, 2023, 3:15 pm 

Pairing of Ethernet connections is probably not supported by your new cable modem. If it is, the details for how to set it up will be in the manual or user's guide.
If you want to go down this road, you should probably buy a "Smart" switch now, even though you won't use most of the features right away..

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 4:21 am 

https://www.surfboard.com/products/cable-modems/sb8200/

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 8:12 am 

External speed is going to be determined by the service connection, if you have a 1GB service by the provider, that is the speed limit for Internet service, which is shared by all devices in your network.

Having two network ports means you can dedicate one port say to your WiFi access point or mesh router (since the cable modem does not have WiFi capability), and then the other port to a ethernet network switch to have independent 1GBS capability WITHIN each "subnet". This effectively means up to a total 2GBS capability within your overall network. If you "daisy-chain" your WiFi router and switches off a single port, then you will only have a 1GBS capability in your network.

Not sure about the concern for redundancy. An hard wired ethernet connection is going to be pretty reliable. If you are talking about WiFi, then a mesh network is probably the best bet to ensure reliable and transparent coverage.

I do see (after looking at the manual) that the cable modem is capable of link aggregation, so yes, you can set things up that way using two ethernet cables with the appropriate switch. Trying to figure out the benefit if you are constrained on the provider end. I envision the primary benefit being physical reliability/redundancy of the cable connections in a challenging environment where there is either is a high potential or a significant cost relating to a severed connection. Maybe squirrels in the attic??? Any of your endpoint connections back to the switch are still going to be 1GBS connections, I believe.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 3:11 pm 

A word of caution about a meshed wireless network. Devices that are intelligent like a cell phone using a wifi connection or a laptop will switch to the strongest access point for the desired SSID as you move around. Other, less intelligent devices will find the lowest numbered access point with the particular SSID. I ran into that with my whole house generator which is not very intelligent where one of the access points was just on the other side of the wall from the generator. However, on that network, it was assigned the number 7. The access point that was assigned number 1 was halfway across the house away from the generator. The generator picked the first access point with the SSID and could not get a reliable signal at that distance. I hard wired another access point just on the inside of the wall near the generator and assigned it a different SSID and instructed the generator to look for that new SSID. Problem solved. So be aware of the limitations of some of the devices when using a meshed network.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2023, 5:44 pm 

I mostly prefer wired.