DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 25th, 2022, 7:00 am 

A British company has announced records made from a bio material that can "replace" vinyl. Since it is made from sugar and starches, you can now not only feed your need for good music but also feed all the bugs in your house. :lol:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pvc-free-v ... s-instead/

PostPosted: August 25th, 2022, 7:52 am 

"...there is a little bit of surface noise when playing a record, but we are working on that."

I have the following questions:

What is the long term stability of the polymer. It turns out vinyl turns out to be an archival medium, stable for decades if not centuries (unfortunate for the environment in terms of disposal).

What is the resilience of the polymer in given the stylus pressures and temperature?

Vinyl is recyclable, and can be used again to make records (better without the paper labels still attached). Can the new material withstand multiple melt cycles without degradation.

BTW, I have some plastic Yamaha recorders (the musical instrument), that are made from a polymer called "Ecodear" that is a starch based plastic. It is used to replace ABS (actually, the compound is a mixture of Ecodear and ABS). It works just fine, and is acoustically better sounding than an ABS instrument. Still prefer my handmade boxwood and grenadilla instruments for tone and playability.

I find it curious that Thailand is a source for the raw PVC polymer used in records. The lac beetle is native to Thailand, whose secretions are the source for shellac used in in old 78 RPM records.

David