DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 5:35 pm 

Does anyone have a copy of the Redbook CD Standard IEC 60908? I thought I'd play around and read the digital data from music disks, then play around with upscaling algorithms at home. We might come up with some interesting results.

However, I'm not in the mood to pay $350 for a licensed copy of the bloody standard from IEC, hence my shout-out here.

Please let me know if you have ideas of how I may proceed with getting digital audio data into a data file.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 5:44 pm 

Perhaps look into the structure of a .wav file. The data's all there if it's an accurate rip.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 5:48 pm 

Try this:

https://archive.org/details/RedBookAudi ... 2831846382

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 6:18 pm 

I have attached the file -

Attachments:
Red Book - Audio Recording Compact Disc Digital Audio System, IEC 60908, Second Edition, 1999-02 [ISBN 2-8318-4638-2].pdf [1.49 MiB]
Downloaded 151 times

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 6:30 pm 

brombo wrote:

Hey Al! I had the original "Redbook" and it was actually red. I have no clue what happened to it -- but during the early days it served as my "bible."
Thanks to you -- I now have a copy. CHEERS!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by reading "direct" from the CD rather than ripping them with commonly available software?

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 7th, 2022, 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

SoundMods wrote:
brombo wrote:

Hey Al! I had the original "Redbook" and it was actually red. I have no clue what happened to it -- but during the early days it served as my "bible."
Thanks to you -- I now have a copy. CHEERS!

And the data CD version is a different color, which I can't remember, but it was also named for its color....

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 8th, 2022, 9:22 am 

David and Brombo: excellent, thank you! :thumbup: I don't know why I couldn't find these when I searched.

Walt: I understand that the Red Book is part of a collection called the Rainbow Books, so a different color for the data CDs makes sense.

Roscoe: I'm not think to rip audio CDs, but to manipulate the data from them. Once the file is ripped, I still need to understand what the data frames contain. I suppose that also means that I need to apply error correction and possible compensations as dictated by the data flags. I'll see what the standard reveals and see how I feel about continuing this project. :think:

PostPosted: July 8th, 2022, 9:59 am 

Guy wrote:
David and Brombo: excellent, thank you! :thumbup: I don't know why I couldn't find these when I searched.

Walt: I understand that the Red Book is part of a collection called the Rainbow Books, so a different color for the data CDs makes sense.

Roscoe: I'm not think to rip audio CDs, but to manipulate the data from them. Once the file is ripped, I still need to understand what the data frames contain. I suppose that also means that I need to apply error correction and possible compensations as dictated by the data flags. I'll see what the standard reveals and see how I feel about continuing this project. :think:

I can only say: GOOD LUCK! It took years of R&D by two major companies with deep pockets (Philips and Sony) to develop the compact disc and turn it into a viable product. Some would think that the data retrieval is sequential like a LP, but that is far from the truth. As I recall -- it is a scheme of data packets and error correction algorithms to enable a player to work around finger prints and scratches up to a point. The lands and pits are no larger than the wavelength of infrared light. To actually see the details on a a CD you need at least a 1,000X microscope.