Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

AC line voltage regulator

April 11th, 2022, 8:52 pm

I'm running to some weird issues with my preamp and amps and am considering an AC voltage stabilizer. I'm not looking for a super-hi-fi unit. What would folks recommend for an affordable way to do this?

Re: AC line voltage regulator

April 11th, 2022, 10:14 pm

While the PS Audio regen units are considered the gold standard here, they are a bit pricey. I don't think you would be happy with the ferro-resonant type devices as they are noisy. Likewise the old voltage regulator units that use saturable reactors. Probably much easier to improve the preamp or amp power supply.

Re: AC line voltage regulator

April 11th, 2022, 10:30 pm

dberning wrote:While the PS Audio regen units are considered the gold standard here, they are a bit pricey. I don't think you would be happy with the ferro-resonant type devices as they are noisy. Likewise the old voltage regulator units that use saturable reactors. Probably much easier to improve the preamp or amp power supply.

Coming from you David, I'll take that as definitive. No, I don't want some inferior alternative. I'll look to resolve the problem in the equipment. Thanks for the answer. :-)
Post a reply