DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinion pleas
PostPosted: March 12th, 2022, 10:43 am 

Just curious what members opinion of Amir and Audio Science Review.
He is very controversial.
But he does not spare the rod at all.

Post subject: Re: Opinion pleas
PostPosted: March 12th, 2022, 11:01 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:

For budget equipment, it's handy to see what performs well, also handy to see what doesn't. For high-end gear, I don't see much value there. I was looking for a bedroom DAC and bought a Topping DX7 Pro based on his rating. It's okay, nothing special, but it works well and sounds nice on the bedroom system. But the idea that I would stop there for my music needs is ridiculous.

Then again, a lot of people say his measurements are crap. I wouldn't know. But I don't spend much time there.

I find that WhatHiFi has the most reliable reviews for budget and higher-end stuff.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2022, 3:08 pm 

His measurement of the diyaudio amp camp amp and the associated hubbub between his acolytes and detractors led me to build one to see for myself. While the measurements are not great it is a nice easy listen on my horn setup. Not the best, certainly not the worst for $160 I have into it.

I too bought a DAC he measured that was touted very highly and it ended up getting traded off after a few months of infrequent use.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2022, 3:49 pm 

kcdonahue wrote:
His measurement of the diyaudio amp camp amp and the associated hubbub between his acolytes and detractors led me to build one to see for myself. While the measurements are not great it is a nice easy listen on my horn setup. Not the best, certainly not the worst for $160 I have into it.

I too bought a DAC he measured that was touted very highly and it ended up getting traded off after a few months of infrequent use.

Well, there you go. For what I paid for the Topping I could have bought a used Chord Mojo (a piece Amir shrugs off because it didn't meet his measurement standards) and had a much nicer unit.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2022, 9:13 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:

The measurements he makes are very nice but..... his take on the audibility of measurement artifacts is controversial. He himself is conflicted at time.

For example, he reviewed a DSD offering from a audiophile label. He found in the audio stream noise artifacts are present way above the 20kHz range. He criticizes the label for not doing a good job, rightfully so, but then implies that it is somehow a lower quality recording while else where he vehemently claims anything above 20kHz is inaudible and doesn't matter.

He as couple of YouTube videos where he explains the audio measurements in detail, which is nice.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2022, 10:32 am 

I do believe his rant on PS Audio regenerators. From what I have actually heard they seem to make good tube equipment sound like solid-state. The only time one should result in using them if your mains is off-grid solar/inverter combo.
I do agree with his rant on hires digital music. I have never preferred it. Even off Qobuz where supposedly everything is downgraded to 192K the hires files do not sound better than the original.
I have mixed feelings about his rant on USB cables. I feel that they do sound different from one or another but whether one is better than another is still up for debate.
I do not listen to his reviews of equipment that I would not purchase.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2022, 11:41 am 

I enjoy his reviews especially this one -

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ces-2016-dayton-audio-constant-beam-transducer-cbt-speakers.1176/

I also enjoy the comments. Since Parts Express no longer sells any cbt kits I found Bjorn's comment to be of interest. I would say a cbt speaker is not a diy project unless you have access to a numerically controlled router to make the bezel for the drivers. FYI note that the woodworkers club in Rockville has a large numerically controlled router -

https://woodworkersclub.com/

PostPosted: March 14th, 2022, 1:52 pm 

Nice to see some positive experiences. Come to think of it, he's also debunked some expensive audiophile "tweaks," so I guess it's worth checking out now and then.