DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2022, 5:19 pm 

David McGown wrote:

But rap is actually a way of expounding poetry, of word play, using rhythm (in both the words and the supporting beat) as the conveying musical element rather than using melody with harmonic support.
David

Perfectly said. I am not a rap fan but once waiting at the entrance of Lake Forest Mall, heard two african-american teenage kids talking to each other in rap. It was a duel between them. So beautiful.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2022, 7:05 pm 

Jim G wrote:
I'm not a Meat Loaf fanboy but that guy has a beautiful voice. The brilliance of his catalog is Jimmy Steinman. Had they never collaborated, the world would have never heard of Meat Loaf other than the ubiquitous dinner entree. Steinman recognized that operatic quality of his voice and wrote a catalogue of songs that were perfect for it. Yesterday, I listened to Bat Out Of Hell II on my stereo at a pretty reasonable level and thought it sounded surprisingly good compared to his other recordings, and the songs are magnificent.

Like most pop and rock recordings, his records weren't meant to be listened to on a highly resolving Audiophile stereo system. Try ripping one onto a cd (my cars don't have connectivity) and playing it in your car next time you're driving on the interstate for an hour.:-)

This is where my wife and I part ways. ;-) She loves my system for classical and jazz but has no use for it to listen to her old rock albums. I'll never forget when I built my first SET amp and we decided to listen listen to one of her favorite Clapton albums. I thought it sounded fantastic but she was horrified to hear the all the dubbing and multitracking. To her mind, all this stuff she loved when she was 16 was actually performed LIVE, even in the studio, and the idea that any of it was cobbled together was so very disappointing. ;-) She's waiting til I'm incapacitated or something so she can drag her old Sony receiver and "Time Domain" speakers out of storage. ;-)

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2022, 11:19 pm 

Jim G wrote:
I'm not a Meat Loaf fanboy but that guy has a beautiful voice. The brilliance of his catalog is Jimmy Steinman. Had they never collaborated, the world would have never heard of Meat Loaf other than the ubiquitous dinner entree. Steinman recognized that operatic quality of his voice and wrote a catalogue of songs that were perfect for it. Yesterday, I listened to Bat Out Of Hell II on my stereo at a pretty reasonable level and thought it sounded surprisingly good compared to his other recordings, and the songs are magnificent.

Like most pop and rock recordings, his records weren't meant to be listened to on a highly resolving Audiophile stereo system. Try ripping one onto a cd (my cars don't have connectivity) and playing it in your car next time you're driving on the interstate for an hour.:-)

And Jim, I think you've nailed the magic--Steinman plus Meatloaf's voice.