DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 12:17 am 

If I had the $$$$, I would reserve a room at the next CAF, install two of these babies, and see what room treatment might make them sound half-way decent. They might even sound better than some other rooms.

ray

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 4:33 am 

I don't know about you, but I don't refer to Wendy Williams for audio recommendations.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 7:34 am 

Four piezeo tweeters oh boy

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 8:56 am 

Looks like they are claiming 10KW. I tested a Behringer inuke 6000 amp once that claimed 3,100 watts peak power per channel into 4 ohms. In reality, it put out 1,200 watts RMS per channel. When I spoke to them about it they said this very short term peak power rating was "common" for DJ applications and they were conforming to that tradition. In reality it was a very competent "lower" powered amp for only $400.

As far as running on a regular 120 VAC line, When living in MD, I was running my whole system including a true 5KW of amplifier power (two QSC 1310 and one Crown Macro Reference) on a shared 15 amp branch circuit. I never had a breaker trip because of the high peak to average nature of music, but I use a soft start circuit on my whole system to prevent turn on surges as all the storage caps in the different pieces charge up. If not, I'm sure I would trip the breaker.

In the current house, I'm running everything including over 7KW of amplifier power since I have added the distributed subs to the system powered by a Crown Studio Reference amp for a quad amped set up. It is on a dedicated 30 amp circuit and still goes through the soft start circuit. I'm including a photo of the equipment rack in the basement and the soft start circuit panel. It also has one power strip that is a straight on/off because some digital displays do not like a soft start. I'm including photos on the rack and soft start.

Bottom line on the original piece shown, I don't see it in my future.

Tom

Attachments:
Equipment rack in basement_small.jpg
Equipment rack in basement_small.jpg [ 551.81 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]
Soft start control _small.jpg
Soft start control _small.jpg [ 488.93 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 10:49 am 

tomp wrote:
Looks like they are claiming 10KW. I tested a Behringer inuke 6000 amp once that claimed 3,100 watts peak power per channel into 4 ohms. In reality, it put out 1,200 watts RMS per channel. When I spoke to them about it they said this very short term peak power rating was "common" for DJ applications and they were conforming to that tradition. In reality it was a very competent "lower" powered amp for only $400.

As far as running on a regular 120 VAC line, When living in MD, I was running my whole system including a true 5KW of amplifier power (two QSC 1310 and one Crown Macro Reference) on a shared 15 amp branch circuit. I never had a breaker trip because of the high peak to average nature of music, but I use a soft start circuit on my whole system to prevent turn on surges as all the storage caps in the different pieces charge up. If not, I'm sure I would trip the breaker.

In the current house, I'm running everything including over 7KW of amplifier power since I have added the distributed subs to the system powered by a Crown Studio Reference amp for a quad amped set up. It is on a dedicated 30 amp circuit and still goes through the soft start circuit. I'm including a photo of the equipment rack in the basement and the soft start circuit panel. It also has one power strip that is a straight on/off because some digital displays do not like a soft start. I'm including photos on the rack and soft start.

Bottom line on the original piece shown, I don't see it in my future.

Tom

Tsk, Tsk Tom!

As an EE you know better!

Nema 5-15R receptacles on a 30 ampere circuit? Never! Clear violation of NFPA 70 210.23 and tables!

Try not to burn down your beautiful new home!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just ball busting!

Slick

Attachments:
210.23.jpg
210.23.jpg [ 748.71 KiB | Viewed 2828 times ]

PostPosted: December 14th, 2021, 11:40 am 

Tsk, tsk Stuart. Each power strip has it's own 15 amp breaker so each acts like a separate branch circuit. Input to the soft start circuit is appropriately wired and fused for the box capacity. The box then acts like a load center to feed the "branch circuits". That box comes off another box on the wall I built that feeds the soft start and also a standard NEMA 5-15R that is separately fused that goes to the UPS on top of the rack that is always on and feeds my music servers and other stuff that I leave on. This is not my first rodeo.