DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Leaky Caps
PostPosted: October 7th, 2021, 11:20 pm 

Grover Gardner wrote:
I turned David on to the Cornell-Dubilier 942C series caps. *You will not find a better cap for the money.* Or possibly *any* money, for that matter, unless you want to spend $300 a piece or more. If you want a clean, punchy midrange with no phase issues, this is the cap for you. ;-) IMO, they best the old V-Cap TFTF, though not the new V-Cap CuTF, which is probably the best cap I've heard. But I use the 942's in all my amps with zero complaints. John Broskie started selling these for his Aikido kits and they are truly excellent.

Ordered 6 of them for $40 on eBay. Thanks.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2021, 12:04 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:
I turned David on to the Cornell-Dubilier 942C series caps. *You will not find a better cap for the money.* Or possibly *any* money, for that matter, unless you want to spend $300 a piece or more. If you want a clean, punchy midrange with no phase issues, this is the cap for you. ;-) IMO, they best the old V-Cap TFTF, though not the new V-Cap CuTF, which is probably the best cap I've heard. But I use the 942's in all my amps with zero complaints. John Broskie started selling these for his Aikido kits and they are truly excellent.

Ordered 6 of them for $40 on eBay. Thanks.

Bummer! You were too quick on the trigger. I discovered a Russian mil-spec product that as it turns out is a hybrid not unlike the very-very expensive Audio-Note caps.

They're are a hermetic paper/mylar/oil capacitor that are open, musical, and better than anything I had on hand for trials (compared to a straight wire) before I committed to using them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... md=2&rt=nc

When I overhauled my BAT-3Ki pre-amp these musical gems ended up in my BAT and they're the gift that keeps on giving. NICE!

I did bypass them with hermetic Teflon caps that created what I would call a "super cap."

Attachments:
BAT VK-3i phase 4 Output Cplrs 101720w.JPG
BAT VK-3i phase 4 Output Cplrs 101720w.JPG [ 466.31 KiB | Viewed 2980 times ]
BAT VK-3i phase 4 Assembled Top 101920w.JPG
BAT VK-3i phase 4 Assembled Top 101920w.JPG [ 538.32 KiB | Viewed 2980 times ]

PostPosted: October 8th, 2021, 3:12 pm 

Walt,

I noticed that most of the caps listed on that ebay link were marked K75-10 and the ones in your preamp are marked K75-24. Any difference?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2021, 3:21 pm 

FerdinandII wrote:
Walt,

I noticed that most of the caps listed on that ebay link were marked K75-10 and the ones in your preamp are marked K75-24. Any difference?

Both the -10 and -24 caps are the same. Why the different version number is anybody's guess. What caught me off-guard was the mix of dielectrics. I am sure those caps were not designed for hi-end audio, but OH BABY!! Do they get the job done.

There is a caveat. When I first got them years ago I was doing trials for my Altec crossovers. They were not good compared to my other choices -- but not bad either. In line-level service they're another animal entirely and won my heart for my pre-amp.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2021, 4:38 pm 

Where do you source the hermetic teflons?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2021, 5:15 pm 

Grover,

From the looks of them, I think they are Teflon Tex-CAPS. I picked up a few of them from an Ebay seller in small values which I haven't gotten around using yet. Maybe I should. They do have steel leads, if that is important to you. The Russian PIOs have steel leads (copperweld) as well. I checked one listing (seller) of Russian capacitors and the K75 series is listed as a Hybrid PIO, my recollection is that it was a combination of paper and mylar in oil.

David