DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 20th, 2021, 1:52 pm 

I think this discussion started about level control at the speaker, it seems to have digressed into different approaches for resistive attenuators.

One thing not discussed is inductive attenuators (autoformer). Dave Slagle makes a "Speakerformer" level control for matching tweeter level. I actually have a pair stashed away that I never ended up using. But this might be a better alternative than L-pads in the right application.

David

PostPosted: September 20th, 2021, 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

David McGown wrote:
I think this discussion started about level control at the speaker, it seems to have digressed into different approaches for resistive attenuators.

One thing not discussed is inductive attenuators (autoformer). Dave Slagle makes a "Speakerformer" level control for matching tweeter level. I actually have a pair stashed away that I never ended up using. But this might be a better alternative than L-pads in the right application.

David

In the right application is key.... Used in a typical passive crossover application, the L-Pad goes between the crossover filter and the driver. The advantage of L-Pads is that they present a constant (relatively) load to the crossover as the level is changed. An autoformer is going to present a different load to the crossover element as the level is changed, which causes the filter behavior to change as the level is changed. This may or may not be a bad thing depending on the specific use case.... Once you get the level close to where you need it, designing the filter for the actual load presented by the autoformer ought to work out fairly well, as the load will only change a small amount if you're at the point where you only need small adjustments...

Roscoe

PostPosted: September 21st, 2021, 7:34 am 

David McGown wrote:

David
Cogito wrote:
I needs quality resistors for building speaker level attenuation network (lpad).

Also need quality resistors and caps for passive line level crossovers.

Walt?

There is a connection to the OP's question.....

PostPosted: September 21st, 2021, 9:59 am 

David McGown wrote:

David

I have a couple of lpads. The plan is use them to match the levels, determine the resistance values and replace the lpads with fixed resistors.

Eventually, I want to implement the lpad network in the line level crossover. In the line level implementation before the amp, we are not dealing with small impendences line the speakers. Also because of the low voltages, parts cost would be low.

Checked Slagle's site, speakerformers are interesting but too expensive for me. Since I am using 5 way active system, levels of 4 channels need to be matched with the lowest efficiency channel. That means I need 4 pairs of of speakerformers which comes to $1800.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2021, 10:02 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Now the really cool approach would be multiple and identical line stages, each with its own gain control, each filtered to serve the drivers its related amplifier is powering.
Stuart

Thats the idea I am planning to implement.