DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grover Gardner
PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 7:35 am 

Renie and I just took a long road trip ending at Key West, a bucket list item for yours truly, with several stops in between, both directions. We decided on listening to books for trip entertainment (not that I'm not excellent entertainment by myself). We listened to three different books, the last of which we quit on early since the author decided to insert her own condescending politics into a non-political subject novel. We had a few hours left on the trip and I suggested we look for books narrated by Grover Gardner. We didn't find him on Chirp or audible.com. A Google search found him on audiobooks.com.
We selected a short title since our trip only had about four hours left.

We were blown away! What a terrific narrator! I knew Grover to have encyclopedic knowledge of music, to have great ears, an ability to build great sounding amplifiers, and to be very generous! (I still owe you!). But at his chosen line of work he is fantastic. He brought the author's work to life with every bit of sarcasm in place. We enjoyed every minute of it, finishing it at home.

Since coming back home, we've started another book he has narrated.

If you haven't listened to Grover narrate, DO IT!

Stuart

Post subject: Re: Grover Gardner
PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 7:47 am 
Site Admin

I think he’s done a lot of work under the name Alexander Adams as well. Never heard any of his work yet…

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 11:11 pm 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Renie and I just took a long road trip ending at Key West, a bucket list item for yours truly, with several stops in between, both directions. We decided on listening to books for trip entertainment (not that I'm not excellent entertainment by myself). We listened to three different books, the last of which we quit on early since the author decided to insert her own condescending politics into a non-political subject novel. We had a few hours left on the trip and I suggested we look for books narrated by Grover Gardner. We didn't find him on Chirp or audible.com. A Google search found him on audiobooks.com.
We selected a short title since our trip only had about four hours left.

We were blown away! What a terrific narrator! I knew Grover to have encyclopedic knowledge of music, to have great ears, an ability to build great sounding amplifiers, and to be very generous! (I still owe you!). But at his chosen line of work he is fantastic. He brought the author's work to life with every bit of sarcasm in place. We enjoyed every minute of it, finishing it at home.

Since coming back home, we've started another book he has narrated.

If you haven't listened to Grover narrate, DO IT!

Stuart

Well, thank you! What did you listen to? An Andy Carpenter mystery? (Just guessing--sarcasm would be a tip off here...) FWIW, I have hundreds of books on Audible, surprised you couldn't find them. But one place is as good as another. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Just curious, what are you listening to now?

Last edited by Grover Gardner on June 29th, 2021, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2021, 11:12 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
I think he’s done a lot of work under the name Alexander Adams as well. Never heard any of his work yet…

Roscoe

Those are almost all deleted, thank heaven. ;-) Some "Tom Parker" titles remaining too, but not many.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 7:45 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:
Well, thank you! What did you listen to? An Andy Carpenter mystery? (Just guessing--sarcasm would be a tip off here...) FWIW, I have hundreds of books on Audible, surprised you couldn't find them. But one place is as good as another. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Just curious, what are you listening to now?

Yup! Andy Carpenter, Rescued Renie looked up another Andy Carpenter title, Outfoxed, and when we are together, we are listening to that also. As I have now looked at the list of titles, I realize there may be some benefit to listening to them in order of publication.

Our plan is to definitely branch out to other genres and authors, but for the moment, we are just as happy as a pair of clams!

Renie kept asking me, "You really know this guy"? I told her that the first time we met was at David McGown's house, my first DIY meet. My son and I went there and Grover was sitting on the couch "rolling his own"! We were sort of relieved to find out that the substance was tobacco. But for a little bit, I wondered about group meets!

Stuart

PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 9:00 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
Grover Gardner wrote:

Yup! Andy Carpenter, Rescued Renie looked up another Andy Carpenter title, Outfoxed, and when we are together, we are listening to that also. As I have now looked at the list of titles, I realize there may be some benefit to listening to them in order of publication.

Our plan is to definitely branch out to other genres and authors, but for the moment, we are just as happy as a pair of clams!

Renie kept asking me, "You really know this guy"? I told her that the first time we met was at David McGown's house, my first DIY meet. My son and I went there and Grover was sitting on the couch "rolling his own"! We were sort of relieved to find out that the substance was tobacco. But for a little bit, I wondered about group meets!

Stuart

Yes, there's quite a bit of character development in that series. I like the way he moves the back story along, there are some nice moments as Andy matures and becomes a family man. ;-) But those things make me laugh out loud. I have to stop every few pages and compose myself in the booth.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 10:33 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:

Stuart

Which year was that?

In early 2000's I attended a few DIY meets. Remember meeting Grover in David's house. Dont recall the others, Grover was an unforgettable character due to his vocal skills. If I remember correctly there used to be one Chinese decent guy the group. At that time Roscoe had the huge JBL horns.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 7:40 am 

Cogito wrote:
Which year was that?

In early 2000's I attended a few DIY meets. Remember meeting Grover in David's house. Dont recall the others, Grover was an unforgettable character due to his vocal skills. If I remember correctly there used to be one Chinese decent guy the group. At that time Roscoe had the huge JBL horns.

Not exactly sure, but definitely early 2000's. There was just a mass of unfamiliar faces. The only ones I definitely remember were David McGown, Grover, Roscoe, Paul Clarke, Joel Merritt, and I'm pretty sure Pete Goochman was at that first (for me) meet.

Roscoe made the "Biggest" impression, telling me that there was no such thing as a "good 12AU7, just like there is no such thing as a good Republican". My son wanted me to leave at that moment. Glad I stayed, despite.....

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 8:50 am 

Shashi,

Richard Wugang who founded Sophia Electric attended our early meets. A few of us bought tubes (mesh plate 300B and 274B rectifiers) he started importing from China (originally Full Music but later his own branded tubes from the same source). His father (who I think was the one involved in tube exporting from China) also came for one meet.

David