DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 4th, 2021, 6:04 pm 

With all these abbreviations we could use a glossary of NAS, NUC, DLNA, UPnP, AES, I2S, UDP, etc. :confusion-confused:

PostPosted: June 4th, 2021, 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Don Diego wrote:
With all these abbreviations we could use a glossary of NAS, NUC, DLNA, UPnP, AES, I2S, UDP, etc. :confusion-confused:

NAS - Network Attached Storage.
NUC - Next Unit of Computing. Basically a smaller than Mac Mini PC series made by Intel. If it matters to you, some of them have built-in TosLink.
DLNA - Digital Living Network Alliance - https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-dlna-1847363 They explain it better than I could ;)
UPnP - Universal Plug and Play - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play
AES (normally AES/EBU) - Digital interface standard used primarily in studio gear. Used balanced connections for the digital signal.
I2S - Inter IC Sound - Another digital interface standard. May be a better choice where available, as the clock and data are on separate lines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2S
UDP - User Datagram Protocol - The network protocol usually used for streaming.
MPD - Music Player Daemon - Kinda what it sounds like once you know what the letter stand for. Music server that can do everything except control itself, needs a client for control. Used in most audio oriented Linux distributions.
upmpdcli - wrapper for MPD to make it look like a UPnP device.
squeezelite/LMS - Code based off the Logitech Music Server project. Basically an alternative for MPD, with a few more features. There are wars on the Internet about whether MPD or squeezelite sounds better.... Of course, pick any two different ways to do the same thing in audio and you'll find the wars....

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 4th, 2021, 6:43 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Jim,

The endpoint=bridge if running Roon on another computer. The reason it is called a bridge is that it "bridges" via ethernet the output from the computer running Roon to another ethernet device that has the interface with the DAC. This is a pretty "dumb" device, which is why a low end computer (Atom based) can work pretty well...
David

So, following Roscoe's description, the NUC is #3 the Renderer and the Atom computer is #4 the Bridge (Ethernet to usb conversion)? Is anything called a Server?

I have a small dedicated computer on the Network called a Bridge that allows a device (Ethernet to usb converter feeding a dac) not recognized by Roon to become visible in Roon. Is Bridge the correct name for this computer? It's not the endpoint feeding the dac as above.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2021, 7:35 pm 

Quote:
When I started out, I had music stored on my NAS along with a "Server" program designed for the Linux OS on the NAS. I called the NAS my "Server". It was controlled by a different company's software from an app via the Upnp protocol.

Jim,

"Server" is a generic name used by a whole class of gizmos. Its is like the term "automobile". An automobile can be passenger car, pickup truc, tractor or an 18-wheeleter.

In your specific case, NAS (Network Attached Storage) is a server for sure, but to be specific, it is a file server. So "File Server" or "NAS server" are really good terms to use. If you are using Roon, the computer on which roon is running is the "Music Server'. All this music server does it take the music files from the NAS and push it over the network the music player. Typically, music player is on a separate/dedicated server.

The term renderer is a little tricky. I have two setups running now.
An AP-Linux server. On this server, only linux music player MPD is running. Music directories from the NAS are mounted. IOW, the music files look as if they are locally available to MPD. MPD itself maintains music library and responds to commands locally or via an app on android or IOS. In this setup, as there is "Network Streaming" involved, there is no renderer.

Once the network streaming is involved, there is a protocol for transferring and playing media files, DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance). Your roon system and my Audirvana fall in this category.
A renderer does not do any media management, it only plays the media file it receives over the network. In your case, roon player is the renders and in my case MPD player is the renderer. (disclaimer: Strictly speaking MPD is not a renderer as it is DLNA compatible software. Another piece of software residing on the music player, uPnpMPD, receives the media data over the network and fees to MPD player locally).

I think, in Roon world, Music management and music server part of the system also does the (up/re)sampling of the music data. Roon player (renderer) is not involved. In my Audirvana system, resampling is done by a different piece of software (libsamplerate) which is residing on the music player computer handles the resampling operations. So, resampling becomes part of the renderer in my case.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2022, 4:25 pm 

I put up my review of Richard Hollis's MS-6 Wintell based server
https://www.myaudiophrenia.com/hal-ms-6-musicserver/

Also my reports on CAF and Florida HiFI shows
https://www.myaudiophrenia.com/audio_industry_news/

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2024, 10:34 pm 

Hello Guys,
So very intresting posts and great stuff to read here.

Sincerely Richard

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2024, 1:28 pm 

I agree, Richard.
This is one of those times when the group really fulfilled its mission.

radiorich wrote:
Hello Guys,
So very intresting posts and great stuff to read here.

Sincerely Richard