DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Room response calculator
PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 8:10 am 

I was watching a webinar put on by the AES on room acoustic treatments and saw an interesting web tool mentioned. It is called AMROC, the room acoustic calculator. You can put in your room dimensions and it will show the expected nodes and other results based on the raw dimensions of the room. It does not take into account the existing treatments you may have but is none the less very interesting. Here is a link:

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=20 ... ue&r60=0.6

Tom

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 9:35 am 

Tom,
Very interesting acoustics calculator. Gives me some ideas as well.

Now I see why Pierre at Mapleshade recommends his technique for nearfield listening. The critical distance in my listening room is only 2.58 ft.

The absorption suggested is about what my Berber style carpet and jute pad give. Still needed more absorption on the walls for slap echo problems.

Fun stuff.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 10:13 am 

Tom,

Very interesting. My room is too long (26L x 13W x 8H), so need to lob off 9 feet to get it into to the optimum "Bolt Area". Somehow I think that is not going to happen.... I have too much stuff in the room.

David

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 10:28 am 

Pretty cool. The Amray tool is really fascinating, and if I'm reading it correctly it really helps visualize where the problem areas are. I did a quick sketch of my listening area placed a speaker and a listener and here's what it showed. You can move either speaker or listener around and the "rays" follow.

Attachments:
Amray.png
Amray.png [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 5581 times ]

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 12:37 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Tom,

Very interesting. My room is too long (26L x 13W x 8H), so need to lob off 9 feet to get it into to the optimum "Bolt Area". Somehow I think that is not going to happen.... I have too much stuff in the room.

David

Fill the extra 9 feet with lots of new equipment. :roll:

Tom

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 2:18 pm 

DaveR wrote:
Pretty cool. The Amray tool is really fascinating, and if I'm reading it correctly it really helps visualize where the problem areas are. I did a quick sketch of my listening area placed a speakeri and a listener and here's what it showed. You can move either speaker or listenier around and the "rays" follow.

Good tool but it is missing one critical component, sound pressure level drop with distance.

In your room, the distance of reflected sound from right wall is more then twice the distance of the direct sound. Sound pressure drops 6dB for each doubling of the distance. In your case, the reflected sound from the right wall is at least 9dB down. Rear wall reflections are t least 6 dB down. That that is why you get good soundstage. You might want to put couple of diffusers on the right wall for optimal effect.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

tomp wrote:
Fill the extra 9 feet with lots of new equipment. :roll:

Tom

Or a few full record racks ;)

Roscoe

PostPosted: May 16th, 2021, 3:16 pm 

Cogito wrote:
DaveR wrote:
Pretty cool. The Amray tool is really fascinating, and if I'm reading it correctly it really helps visualize where the problem areas are. I did a quick sketch of my listening area placed a speakeri and a listener and here's what it showed. You can move either speaker or listenier around and the "rays" follow.

Good tool but it is missing one critical component, sound pressure level drop with distance.

In your room, the distance of reflected sound from right wall is more then twice the distance of the direct sound. Sound pressure drops 6dB for each doubling of the distance. In your case, the reflected sound from the right wall is at least 9dB down. Rear wall reflections are t least 6 dB down. That that is why you get good soundstage. You might want to put couple of diffusers on the right wall for optimal effect.

As I mentioned, this does not take into account room treatments. If you want to get more info on that, go to the Sonitus USA site I previously listed.