DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 9:51 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPXOwlpO4Y

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:03 am 

Those are not my observations of all HiRez recordings.

Interesting, as the HF extension that it offers is one reason why folks seem to like vinyl and tape for its higher bandwidth than CD.

Dynamic range is also improved.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:10 am 
Site Admin

huge amount of useless information in that video. Yeah, there's a lot of digital noise up there. Upsampling PCM creates similar noise, but moves it up in frequency so we don't have to use an ugly brick-wall filter to remove the noise.... Of course, all that HF information is going to be filtered out by the DAC, it'll never get to the power amp or speakers. And yeah, tape has HF roll-off above 20k, but it's not a complete cutoff at 22.05 kHz like redbook. The guy is pretty clueless. and obviously has an axe to grind....

Roscoe

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:18 am 

I'll watch the video when on wifi, but right off the bat, re-releasing analogue records in a hi res format isn't going to impress. What you should try is music recorded in hi resolution recently. Obviously, this limits content choices but should show you the potential advantages including far more dynamic range than analogue.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:32 am 

This is a remaster of an analog source (tape). The noise Amir is highlighting is outside the bandwidth of the original source material, so it has to be an artifact of the mastering system used.

My experience listening to Hi-Res is that, just like CDs, there are good recordings and not-so-good recordings. The well recorded HiRes albums have an open sound, with a black background. Music comes across effortlessly and with little to no granularity. Much better instrument placement, natural sounding, expansive soundstage. This is primarily with Hi-Res PCM (192kHz/24 bit), which sounds much better than 96kHz(88kHz)/24 bit. Now with my Chord M Scalar in line, I listen to 768kHz(705kHz)/32bit upscaled digital, which is actually beyond DSD or Hi-Res PCM, and it makes a difference, particularly for standard def (44kHz/16bit) source material, but to a subtle amount to Hi-Res, in the same way as I described above.

You cannot make a case with one example. I would consider a recording that was originally recorded in HiRes digital (either PCM or DSD), in a good acoustical setting and make a judgement.

David

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:41 am 

I posted this to get a feel if this guy is legit or not.
he has a lot of followers and some interesting vids

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:48 am 

He just measures things. Would not trust him on any audio observations, he lets the measurements tell him how it sounds. Good source for performance data, though.

David

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 10:55 am 

I think i know people like that

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 11:49 am 

David McGown wrote:
He just measures things. Would not trust him on any audio observations, he lets the measurements tell him how it sounds. Good source for performance data, though.

David

Perfect summarization of the guy.

On top of that, he admits in the video that he does not have a DAC which plays HiRes DSD. And he claims music cannot be represented by 1 bit.

He reminds me of Arnie Kruger and Mytry.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2021, 2:29 pm 

is not DSD and SACD very similar