DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 28th, 2021, 10:52 pm 

For the Supercap with 6-500F in series, the 83.3F capacitance, with a series R of 20 ohms, the time to charge to 63.2% of full voltage is 27.7 minutes, the Power MOSFET startup time would be to fast even with very large RC time constants, unless another Supercap. When the system is not in use, I would just turn the switch off. The Supercap would still be charging and no problem with power outage as discharge time is in 20+ minutes. A DPDT power switch would work for both the circuit load and charging states.

Will give this a try with a SMPS and see what happens when the Supercaps arrive with the resistor and power switch.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2021, 6:50 am 

Rich, what are you feeding that you need farads worth of capacitance? I see your point when using that much storage. For a small server drawing less than 3 amps it seems to be overkill.

Tom

PostPosted: April 29th, 2021, 6:58 am 

With the 240 watt GaN unit, you could run a power amp on that kind of setup with the coaxial DC connection, not just the music server and still run a music server with the USBC port.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2021, 7:55 am 

I understand now. Apples and oranges between a music server and power amp. My filter is just for the music server. For larger loads like my 4,500W of power amps I have used a phase control on the AC line until the caps are charged and then bypass and shut off the phase control to eliminate the phase control switching noise. It also checks for over and under voltage and turns off if those conditions are incurred. Can't do that on the output of the SMPS because it is DC. Crazy as it sounds, you might be able to use a switching current control to charge the caps that could then be bypassed once they are charged. It could be tied into a circuit to keep the speakers disconnected while the caps charge up and would also be automatic regardless of the reason for shutdown and startup.