DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 6L6 tubes
PostPosted: March 11th, 2021, 5:04 pm 

https://audioxpress.com/news/tube-amp-d ... cted-tubes

Post subject: Re: New 6L6 tubes
PostPosted: March 11th, 2021, 7:54 pm 

I think I will give them a try. I haven't heard any new 6L6s that come close to the Svetlana/SED 6L6 (I haven't tried any traditional Euro/US NOS), and the SEDs are getting hard to come by.
JJJ

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 10:52 am 

m1garandusa wrote:
I think I will give them a try. I haven't heard any new 6L6s that come close to the Svetlana/SED 6L6 (I haven't tried any traditional Euro/US NOS), and the SEDs are getting hard to come by.
JJJ

If you like 6L6s you'll love KT-66s. The Chiness "Golden Dragon" KT-66s are about as close to the ca 1950s Genelex KT-66s as you can get and if biased at around 36-ma you get music -- nice with the "breathe of life" music.
You will not be disappointed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KT66-Retro-GOL ... Sw4shYAkz1

Then of course if you want the real deal -- they are still available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Genalex-G ... SwPlFei4Q9

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 5:16 pm 

I haven't played much with the typical tubes like 6L6, the various KT** and 6550. Could somebody describe the sonic advantages / disadvantages of the various types.

I see I have a Cunningham 6L6 and a Sylvania.

Hopefully this weekend I will check out the power supply on the Roscoe amp. I need to get the US taxes done first however.

ray

PostPosted: March 13th, 2021, 12:09 am 

SoundMods wrote:
m1garandusa wrote:
JJJ

If you like 6L6s you'll love KT-66s. The Chiness "Golden Dragon" KT-66s are about as close to the ca 1950s Genelex KT-66s as you can get and if biased at around 36-ma you get music -- nice with the "breathe of life" music.
You will not be disappointed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KT66-Retro-GOL ... Sw4shYAkz1

Then of course if you want the real deal -- they are still available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Genalex-G ... SwPlFei4Q9

I very much like the (Russian-made) Gold Lion KT66. A beautiful tube, with a slightly lush, liquid sound. They are wonderful in my Williamsons. Another good 6L6 variant is the Tung-Sol 7581a resissue--very smooth, great instrumental tone and tight bass. Not a flashy sound but extremely involving.

The Chinese KT66's I did not have good luck with, but YMMV.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2021, 12:12 am 

ratbagp wrote:
I haven't played much with the typical tubes like 6L6, the various KT** and 6550. Could somebody describe the sonic advantages / disadvantages of the various types.

Hopefully this weekend I will check out the power supply on the Roscoe amp. I need to get the US taxes done first however.

ray

Well, the 6550 is another animal altogether. I've never been that fond of them but Charlie makes them work. :-) The 6L6 family is unlike the EL34 family in that they have less gain, and a slightly drier, less mid-rangy sound. The KT66 is also slightly different in terms of gain and filament current, but works very well in 6L6 amps.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2021, 9:35 am 

Grover Gardner wrote:
ratbagp wrote:

ray

Well, the 6550 is another animal altogether. I've never been that fond of them but Charlie makes them work. :-) The 6L6 family is unlike the EL34 family in that they have less gain, and a slightly drier, less mid-rangy sound. The KT66 is also slightly different in terms of gain and filament current, but works very well in 6L6 amps.

I found that the Svetlana 6550C worked well in my Jadis Defy-7 when I had it. At least they did a much better job than the GE 6550s that came with it. Yet -- the KT-88 did a better job. Sovtek and JJ KT-88s specifically. The Svetlana KT-88s made the Jadis sound like it was a solid-state amp. -- not good. I lusted after Genelec KT-88s but did not have the deep pockets to indulge in that fantasy -- the Defy-7 took 12 power tubes to develop a modest 100-watts/channel.

Happiness now is 845/300B based SET.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2021, 7:22 am 

I have mostly vintage amps, and my various sources tell me that the filament windings on most older 6L6 amps cannot handle KT-66 filament current draw, which is a shame.
V/r
James

PostPosted: March 15th, 2021, 11:54 pm 

m1garandusa wrote:
I have mostly vintage amps, and my various sources tell me that the filament windings on most older 6L6 amps cannot handle KT-66 filament current draw, which is a shame.
V/r
James

It depends on the amp. Most of the Heathkits will easily handle the extra filament current. What amps do you have?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2021, 10:51 am 

Grover,
I have McIntosh and ARC in 6L6. Do you know if they can take the extra heat?
JJJ