DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 9th, 2021, 12:04 pm 

To all,

Hey, I didn't design the motor and controller. Chris Brady (and others) felt there was an audible difference between a filtered/regulated supply and use of a battery. In fact, the motor controller includes regulation and can accept an stepdown AC input (don't remember if it is 18V or 24V). The battery relieves the need of the internal regulator to filter out AC in addition to spurious noise filtering. It was a design decision that, for the most part, works well and is very quiet. That being said, other companies splitting off from the original Teres project (Redpoint, Galbrier) went a different approach with non-feedback regulated controllers which do not involve battery power. My personal experience is that the Teres approach is overly complicated and fussy, and that is what I have. On my DIY Teres, I ended up using a Maxon motor controller fed from a DC supply that worked well (no feedback). I will not get into the details but the torque demands tracking across the record changes, and you can use a circuit with a negative impedance to drive a DC motor to compensate for the torque increase.

I no longer have my motor pod (it was sold with my DIY Teres), so only have this for now. It was the motor the Teres Model 340 was supplied with. I got it for free (actually in compensation for some technical assistance to a very well heeled audiophile who didn't want to bother with it anymore). So a proverbial "gifted horse"

David