Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Amazing technology

December 31st, 2020, 3:15 pm

That was a fun video to watch!

December 31st, 2020, 3:31 pm

Greetings from the wonderful new 2021 to all of you still in the lousy 2020.

Putting on my old programmer's hat, I think it would have been a wonderful project to work on and I shall think more about it later today. My first thought was that the easy part was choreographing the body part movements but the hard part would have been keeping balance. I suspect that is where the AI comes in. As we get older, balance becomes more of an issue.

ray

December 31st, 2020, 3:58 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:What point did I miss, Certainly not your self imposed superior attitude

Mechanical robots are used in manufacturing sector for 40-50 years. The core of these robots is pre-determined, pre-programmed movements of robotic arms to accomplish tasks like welding etc.

Lately, decision making functionality into robots. Most common application of such robots is moving stuff around in warehouses. These robots can make some simple decisions, like if the destination spot is occupied, choosing alternate decision.

The dancing routines in that video demonstrate the physical movements those robots are capable of doing. Those are just pre-determined, pre-programmed movements.

Can these robots go into a burning building and resume an elderly lady without any human intervention? That is where AI comes in.

IOW, Artificial Intellegence makes these “legged” robots capable of performing tasks.

December 31st, 2020, 4:00 pm

SoundMods wrote:
tomp wrote:Although this is not directly audio related it shows how far technology has progressed. If you haven't seen this on the news, it is amazing. Never bet against technology.

https://hypebeast.com/2020/12/boston-dy ... ance-video

You don't want to know how many lines of code it takes and how long it took to get that beast animated. HONDA's Asimo robot is crude by comparison.

Why are you participating in non-audio posts in this forum? Just the other day, you were complaining?

December 31st, 2020, 5:35 pm

Shashi I think you are way off base

The way these machines (in youtube) maintained balanced while moving so very fast and over large distances is quite extraordinary.
If it wasn't we would have seen other examples from other companies before this

December 31st, 2020, 6:34 pm

Cogito wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:What point did I miss, Certainly not your self imposed superior attitude

Mechanical robots are used in manufacturing sector for 40-50 years. The core of these robots is pre-determined, pre-programmed movements of robotic arms to accomplish tasks like welding etc.

Lately, decision making functionality into robots. Most common application of such robots is moving stuff around in warehouses. These robots can make some simple decisions, like if the destination spot is occupied, choosing alternate decision.

The dancing routines in that video demonstrate the physical movements those robots are capable of doing. Those are just pre-determined, pre-programmed movements.

Can these robots go into a burning building and resume an elderly lady without any human intervention? That is where AI comes in.

IOW, Artificial Intellegence makes these “legged” robots capable of performing tasks.

I saw a follow up test of "Spot" the dog robot that was in this video. After being given a basic command like go to a location, it actually uses cameras and other sensors to look for obstacles and find ways around. If you tell it to walk into a wall it will try to go around instead. If there is an obstacle like a shipping skid in the way. it knows where to put it's feet in between the slats so it doesn't trip. I saw it go near a post that had a raised base and it lifted it's rear leg higher than the rest to keep that leg from hitting the base. So yes, it does not have the intelligence of a human but the level of sophistication for a machine is amazing. I have not seen enough to determine what the limitations are, but in some ways it is smarter than some people I have seen. Just look at the annual Darwin award videos.

December 31st, 2020, 6:43 pm

And of course, the robots will eventually create their own dance steps. Now that will be wild since they will be able to generate more power than a human.

ray

December 31st, 2020, 6:50 pm

What's interesting is how these robots have been adopted emotionally by humans. DARPA developed a "mule" that was used by US Special Forces to carry heavy loads in the mountains of the 'Stan. When they took heavy fire and were "wounded" or had to be left behind, the troops reportedly got emotionally distressed, far more so that losing an MRAP or a Hummer. More like losing a military working dog or a horse. Anybody else here get upset watching the movie Chappie?
JJJ

December 31st, 2020, 7:11 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:Shashi I think you are way off base

The way these machines (in youtube) maintained balanced while moving so very fast and over large distances is quite extraordinary.
If it wasn't we would have seen other examples from other companies before this

Nothing extraordinary in maintaining balance. Gyroscopic sensors are used for balancing. If you look at my first post, you will see I gave examples of common gyroscope based devices.

Take a look at this video of single wheel hoverboard. Same technology. The robots we are talking about use same technology, just they are more complicated.

https://youtu.be/bmRmdXULdK0

As an mechanical engineer and software professional, I was impressed with biped machines 30 years ago. No longer. I want to see the mechanical movements translate into tasks.

December 31st, 2020, 7:26 pm

Shashi
I have ridden a Segway and a big wheel and if an old fat man can get around on these things p, then that pretty good.
But if you can’t see that the YouTube robots are something special the I feel sorry for you. You must be lost somewhere in a dull gray space with no life or wonder
Post a reply