DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 11:06 pm 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/arts ... e=Homepage

PostPosted: December 9th, 2020, 11:28 pm 

Before we left for Australia, I gave away all my CDs to a young friend. I had ripped them all to a hard drive (with multiple backups) beforehand so I can listen to them with Jriver. I got rid of most of my records, and just a few are on their way to Oz. Most of my current listening is via Quboz and even though I have plenty of time on my hands, I have trouble keeping up with my playlists.

I have too much to listen to now. The big disadvantage to Quboz is the constant flow of new recordings. One of the pleasures of a limited collection is going back to listen to favourite recordings. Another pleasure of listening to my Jriver collection is discovering recordings I forgot I owned.

It reminds me of the wine drinkers / collectors who have many more bottles of wine in their cellar than they can ever consume in their remaining lifetime.

And of course, I have many more tubes and resistors than I can ever use.

ray

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 7:32 am 

Good article, thanks to Jim for posting the link!

I tend to hang onto everything, I still have the first LPs from when I was in my teens (Switched on Bach, followed by the Mozart Horn Concertos...I played French horn in high school band and orchestra). I have lots LPs that I have bought used at $1 per disc from dissolved classical radio station collections that I have not even listened to yet. Shelves spilling over with CDs, probably 3000 or so. I have only managed to rip around 2000 (so says LMS). But Qobuz has taken over my listening and I cannot keep up with the firehose of new releases. Discovery of music I never knew about, by composers outside the "Canon". Hardly hit my ripped collection or a physical CD anymore (usually only when it is an SACD, that I cannot rip myself). LPs I DO listen to, however (with the permission of a certain cat who gets too fascinated by a spinning record), I really enjoy a good record, even though the recording/performance is a half century or more old.

I have not been forced into making the difficult choice to cull down my collection as you, Ray, but I know that time is coming eventually. I like the idea in the article about the "1 in, 1 out" rule, I have so many CDs collecting dust that I will never physically play again, I have to question why I am holding on to them if I have them ripped. I know Charlie made that decision, but he still has all his LPs.

David

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 10:41 am 

David McGown wrote:
Good article, thanks to Jim for posting the link!

I tend to hang onto everything, I still have the first LPs from when I was in my teens (Switched on Bach, followed by the Mozart Horn Concertos...I played French horn in high school band and orchestra). I have lots LPs that I have bought used at $1 per disc from dissolved classical radio station collections that I have not even listened to yet. Shelves spilling over with CDs, probably 3000 or so. I have only managed to rip around 2000 (so says LMS). But Qobuz has taken over my listening and I cannot keep up with the firehose of new releases. Discovery of music I never knew about, by composers outside the "Canon". Hardly hit my ripped collection or a physical CD anymore (usually only when it is an SACD, that I cannot rip myself). LPs I DO listen to, however (with the permission of a certain cat who gets too fascinated by a spinning record), I really enjoy a good record, even though the recording/performance is a half century or more old.

I have not been forced into making the difficult choice to cull down my collection as you, Ray, but I know that time is coming eventually. I like the idea in the article about the "1 in, 1 out" rule, I have so many CDs collecting dust that I will never physically play again, I have to question why I am holding on to them if I have them ripped. I know Charlie made that decision, but he still has all his LPs.

David

Same here -- I have pristine LPs that date to the 1960s -- old CDs have gotten better as my playback system has evolved. So it is not the recorded medium but how the playback equipment is dealing with it. Actually the same goes for LP playback.

It all comes down to the playback equipment. Do I stream or download -- NOPE! I have yet to hear playback from that medium at a show or friend's house that would encourage my investment. Even some of the audio magazine writers are beginning to realize the limitations of streaming and downloads.

LP "rocks" -- CD almost "rocks." And now we a new a new "love affair" with tape playback.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2020, 10:52 am 

I stopped dealing with physical media long ago and I don't regret the decision. With nearly 20,000 albums that fit nicely into a small black box and are available to play instantly from any seat in the house, it's pretty easy to get comfortable with this approach.

Does it sound good? Yep, it sounds great. At least as great as the recording and mastering allow for. I'm happy to do a shoot out with anyone who thinks otherwise as soon as it's safe to do so.