DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GRS Planar Drivers
PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:07 pm 

[quote="FerdinandII"]Who's "Read"...?

The author (Oliver Read) of: The Recording and Reproduction of Sound. It was published in 1949 by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.

I was gifted a First Edition/First Printing when visiting the Library of Congress regarding the Voice of America and archival recording.

I have fond memories of the entire experience.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:15 pm 

Thanks Walt, I hadn't heard of him. There were some giants in the field around that time. It's now wonder that some of their designs still hold up today. 50-60 years down the road.

SoundMods wrote:

The author (Oliver Read) of: The Recording and Reproduction of Sound. It was published in 1949 by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.

I was gifted a First Edition/First Printing when visiting the Library of Congress regarding the Voice of America and archival recording.

I have fond memories of the entire experience.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:21 pm 

[quote="FerdinandII"]Thanks Walt, I hadn't heard of him. There were some giants in the field around that time. It's now wonder that some of their designs still hold up today. 50-60 years down the road.

Like i said -- the "wheel" was invented a long time ago. Most of the stuff out there is "old tech" with modern parts and a pretty "face" and an even prettier price tag ($$$$$).

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:34 pm 

Do you recognize the ribbed surface profile of this woofer? "Introduced" in 2019 with this advertising copy:
Drawing from more than 45 years’ experience in developing loudspeakers, the Legend Series features a newly designed high resolution Turbine Cone mid/bass driver...

SoundMods wrote:
Like i said -- the "wheel" was invented a long time ago. Most of the stuff out there is "old tech" with modern parts and a pretty "face" and an even prettier price tag ($$$$$).

PostPosted: October 18th, 2020, 9:42 pm 

[quote="FerdinandII"]Do you recognize the ribbed surface profile of this woofer? "Introduced" in 2019 with this advertising copy:
Drawing from more than 45 years’ experience in developing loudspeakers, the Legend Series features a newly designed high resolution Turbine Cone mid/bass driver...

They took a page out the Olson "book." Olson designed a speaker along those lines for RCA.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2020, 9:14 am 

HAL wrote:
Stuart,
Conceptually that is close to the VMPS RM40 array with the ribbon center and planar mids in that configuration.

I had a pair of RM40's. They sounded the best when I used a digital crossover with high slopes to crossover the ribbon to the planars. It made the radiation pattern work out better than the low rate slopes of the original passive XO's.

Just a thought.

Thanks Rich. Define "high slopes" please. I have several 4th order active analog line level crossovers I was planning to try. For testing, not listening, I have a DCX2496.

The hoped for plan (which you have dashed, LOL) was to use a passive XO from planars to ribbons, but active from sub-mid and mid to planars. But again, experimentation will be needed.

Stuart

BTW, after being away for a few days, it's interesting to see how far off the rails this thread went! LOL.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2020, 10:10 am 

Stuart,
I used 8th order L-R on the Behringer DCX2496 between the ribbon and planars in the RM40's.

Experiment as you say, as the GRS 8" and that ribbon have different radiation patterns than the Level 9/Sonogistix planars that were in the RM40.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2020, 11:25 am 

Stuart Polansky wrote:
BTW, after being away for a few days, it's interesting to see how far off the rails this thread went! LOL.

My bad.... Well, me and Walt :character-oldtimer:
I'll stop.
:obscene-drinkingcheers: