DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 11:29 am 

And to followup from the last post, one thing I do before starting any project I have in mind is reading as much as I can about it before I even consider starting. I try to determine:
1. Does this do what I want it to do?
2. Is this is something I have the skills, knowledge, and tools to build?
3. Is there information available that can fill the holes in my knowledge?
4. Can I easily acquire the skills in order to build it?
5. Can I hire someone (or have a friend) who has the skills (and tools) I am missing?
6. Are the tools I need affordable and reusable for other projects? (one time cost vs. distributed cost)
7. Does the project use available parts, or does it demand essential parts that are difficult to get, obsolete, or unobtainium? (if you have the parts in hand, then nevermind)
8. Do I need to layout or design a circuit board, or is a board available or can be fabricated for the project?
9. Are the parts affordable and within my budget?
10. Is the project simple enough to understand to identify problems and be able to troubleshoot it. (Note: even a complex project, if broken down and understood as modules, can be considered as simple).
11. Is there a general or step-by-step guide available? If not, do you understand how to assemble the project from parts and how to test it?
12. What are the problems other people are having in building and troubleshooting the project? Were they overcome?
13. Is the information about the project (i.e. schematics) accessible to anyone I might need to help me?
14. Is there a high success rate and satisfied builders?

Not all of the above may apply to all project, but these are things that I explore before I commit to any scratch built project. I read as much as I can on various DIY messages boards, perform Google searches, read magazine articles and books. I get as familiar as possible with the project before I start ordering parts. That being said, I do have quite the pile of parts I ordered for projects I decided against building for one reason or the other.

David

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 11:37 am 

mix4fix wrote:
I can't have my phone isolated from data. I can only use it as a line of site remote control.

What about this, or something better than this?

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-receiv ... ics&sr=1-8

That looks like a ready made solution to what you need, but read the feedback and questions to make sure, there is not much documentation.

David

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 11:39 am 

you can always return it if you do not like it
It is the best part of Amazon is the return policy