DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 7:39 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Can you control it with an APP?

Yes. Do some research on the internet on Raspberry Pi based music players distributions. I think a number of these were mentioned in a previous email. These are setup to run headless and controlled via an Android or Apple app, or a webbrowser. Volumio is one that has such an app and is pretty easy to setup as a complete player.

https://volumio.org/

There are online instructions on how to set it up, and a support forum. I would advise you read through the information and determine if you want to go this route.

David

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm 

I think you are using a slege hammer for a carpet tack

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 8:04 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
I think you are using a slege hammer for a carpet tack

I agree. My advice is as I stated this morning. Use a digital audio player or cellphone. This really is the wrong application for an RPi solution unless you like to experiment with RPi's just for the hell of it.

David

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 9:08 pm 

If it works, I have no problem with it. It will run off of USB charger and be controlled by APP. I just need help on configuring. Want it to boot when power is applied and be reliable.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2020, 10:02 pm 

You do realize that what you will be setting up on the RPi will be a WiFi hotspot that will not have any connectivity to the internet? You will have to set your smartphone WiFi to this hotspot for the app to work. It could impact the ability of your smartphone to connect to the internet once that is setup. You should still have wireless service for phone and text, but not sure about routing of IP traffic, which is going to try to use the hotspot, I would think.

Just a forewarning.

David

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 6:37 am 

I have been using a RasPi for a couple of years now as a music server.. I believe this a crazy way to solve a simple problem. That said if you want to do this as a learning process that is great. There are a million YouTube tutorials to help you out.
I did have to try numerous times to get mine working, but I was determined to make a go at it.
You should really try it on your own to learn for your self.
I do not think Linux is very straightforward as most will declare.
If you are not use to working in a dos like command line way then it’s not that easy

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 8:35 am 

Paul,

I believe you bring up a good point.

A DIY solution should never be undertaken from a position of desperation, i.e., I need to have something working now! I don't know what I need, and I don't know how to do it yet...

That is going to be an exercise in frustration and failure. Far better off getting (buying) a known, working solution. If you don't have alot of money, keep your eyes out on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. and buy something used. Don't bother making it.

Wizards can look at a problem, a bundle of parts and know how to put something together on the fly to solve it...and it works!..well they are the exception. But that is based on years (decades) of experience and deep understanding (and also great resourcefulness in knowing where to find the missing pieces of the puzzle to get it working).

The problem with seeking advice from wizards, is that it IS EASY for them, but they sometimes don't understand how it can be hard for others. For someone used to Linux, command line, Raspberry Pi (or any computer hardware), networking, computer audio, electronics, etc. know what is needed to put a working solution together, they see a path through the constituent parts and can get something working in short order. They naturally think it can be easy for everyone else because it is easy for them. It is really hard to communicate the nuances that differentiate between easy and hard.

A DIY approach also should not be undertaken because it saves money. This is the motivation for many. You can often save money, and a lot of money if you are building something that competes with high-end products, but it is not necessarily cheap to get there. If you are building something on a extremely tight budget, you might find a new or used ready made solution is cheaper. You cannot complete with the cost savings available in large scale production, and certainly the used market.

The better approach to the DIY route is:
1. I want to LEARN!!! REASON NUMBER ONE!
2. I want to build something BETTER that I can buy (or afford to buy).
3. I want something I cannot easily find or get.
4. I have a new idea I want to tryout.
5. I am an artist and want to create.

A good rule of thumb before undertaking any DIY project is to already have a working solution that can hold you until you complete your project. Your successful DIY project should REPLACE that. You need to have the time for learning, for failure, for troubleshooting, and for refinement. If you need to have something working in short order, then you are setting yourself up for a world of trouble, having to use something that is barely functional or even dangerous because of the rush to complete. A DIY project should be enjoyable, even if it can be frustrating at times. You need to have the liberty of walking away, thinking about it, and coming back to it later.

Anyway, got to get back to work.

David

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 9:43 am 

David, right on about the experts being the worst teachers. When I was in charge of IT I would never get the expert to train my people on anything because of the "that's intuitive" approach they would take. Better to use persons skilled in training with the backup resources to solve the tricky questions.

A great example of the "don't need it right now" approach was the Cherry Bomb amp that David Berning and I built. We both have a lot of experience, but this was a new approach to the use of the technology involved and we spent many days swearing, laughing and complaining about all the things that fit the old saying, "one of the great tragedies of modern science is that every day beautiful theory is shattered by ugly old reality". When it was done the performance was great and it is certainly unique.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 10:35 am 

The exception (that proves the rule) is someone like Nelson Pass. Clearly, he sees his mission as a teacher to guide new DIYers along with projects based on simplicity to greater complexity. But even then, there is assumed knowledge (quickly filled by his volunteer assistants on DIYAudio).

If you are inexperienced, ALWAYS try to find a project that has an existing support network. Having people who have gone through the same issues you are having building the project, with an expert chiming in at just the right moment to clarify or deal with the tough problems, it the way to a successful completion. Posting questions to a general DIY discussion board for help with specific problems on a project they may not be familiar with is going to result in poor advice and misdirection, even as knowledgeable and well meaning the help and advice might be.

David

PostPosted: July 20th, 2020, 11:24 am 

I can't have my phone isolated from data. I can only use it as a line of site remote control.

What about this, or something better than this?

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-receiv ... ics&sr=1-8

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next