Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Klipsch Forte iii

July 12th, 2020, 11:19 am

Does anyone have any opinions on the Klipsch Forte iii?

Re: Klipsch Forte iii

July 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

Klipsch = Sh_t
I have a pair of Cornwall ll that will be for sale soon

July 12th, 2020, 11:43 am

brombo wrote:Does anyone have any opinions on the Klipsch Forte iii?

Any Klipsch product that I have auditioned was "shouty," hard, and edgy. You can have good music reproduction and efficiency, but I would not expect any Klipsch product to provide that performance.

Klipsch products have changed over the years especially when Paul W. Klipsch passed away. Their horn drivers are not as good when compared to when Electrovoice was their OEM, and they went from the relatively expensive industrial-grade oil-filled coupling capacitors to ordinary film and electrolytic capacitors -- and went from laminated-core inductors to cheap air-core types.

I would recommend looking at the Volti products -or-vintage Altec Lancing or JBL products.

July 12th, 2020, 11:59 am

Like I said
Klipsch = Sh_t

July 12th, 2020, 12:03 pm

MF/HF performance aside, (and, which can be fixed) I've never heard a passive radiator that sounded right...

Roscoe

July 12th, 2020, 3:36 pm

I've not heard them but many say it's a good "considering the cost..." speaker.

Here's a link about an upgrade path. Danny Ritchie from GR Research measured a customer's pair and designed a new crossover for them. He sells a kit including the crossover parts and some damping materials for about $650 I believe.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166996.0

July 12th, 2020, 5:04 pm

I saw the video of the mods. I would do all the mods except the crossover and replace the crossover with a tri-amplified dsp crossover. That would also solve the driver alignment problem.

July 13th, 2020, 9:33 am

My 2 cents.

Klipsch Forte IIIs compression drivers have ferrite magnet with Titanium diaphragm. A sonically bad combination. No DSP and Active arrangement is going to fix that. On top of that, the horn itself is a bad profile.

You can do a lot better for lot less in the DIY domain.

For example, mounting Altec 802-8D on a Faital pro 1.4kHz elliptical tractrix horn (about $100/pair at partsexpress) would make a lot more satisfying tweeter.

July 13th, 2020, 5:54 pm

OK, If you are building a system with horn midrange and tweeter with what is available from parts express what would you use and what would you use for the bass (still from parts express)?

July 13th, 2020, 5:59 pm

P.S.: Assume bass only needs to go down to 80Hz (two subwoofers available). Also would you use mdf or baltic birch plywood for the cabinets?
Post a reply