DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10
PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 8:26 pm 

Before I share my impressions of Windows 10, a little bit about me.

My career was started with DEC VMS and Unix Environments 3 decades ago. Those were pre-Linux days. Spent years on Solaris and HPUX. Even today, I spend 95% of my time on primarily RHEL and SUSE linux servers. I have about 500 servers under my supervision.

My job made it compulsory to use Windows since 3.1 days. Windows is u sed to login to the corporate active directory and documentation.

In my experience, Windows 7 is the first stable desktop OS from Microsoft (2008 is the first stable servers OS). When Windows 8 came out, I hated it so much I stayed away from it. Even the new computer I purchased were Win7. Even the Windows 10 release few years ago was a piece of trash.

Last week I got a new work laptop with Windows 10. It is a big surprise to me. New Windows 10 is as good as Windows 7 and better. Even the UI looks like Windows 7 mostly and it feels like Win 7 with enhancements.

Win10 is essentially a paradigm shift from Win7. Even in Linux world, a big paradigm shift is going on with RHEL 8 GUI. Since 100% of my time is spent on command line, it makes no difference to be, but I can appreciate what they are trying to do.

That said, I dont recommend upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10. Best if Win10 is loaded on a virgin disc.

Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 10:05 pm 

Cogito wrote:
That said, I don't recommend upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10. Best if Win10 is loaded on a virgin disc.

So what you are saying is that Windows 7 and Windows 10 got into a "cat fight?" That could explain a lot. Interesting.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 10:17 pm 

My biggest gripe with Windows 10 is not the OS itself, but Microsoft's patch implementation. It takes twice as long to download and install patches on Win 10 as it did on Win 7 and the failure rate is worse as well. They took a major weakness in their platform and made it worse...... I know enterprise users have more control over the updates, but the normal user is getting hammered.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 10:51 pm 

I have some programs that require Win 10. My solution is that I use Ubuntu 18.04 as my operating system and run Win 10 as a virtual machine with Vmware player (free). This way I can update Win 10 and still be doing useful work on Ubuntu. Yes, the biggest problem of Win 10 is the updating procedure.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 5:27 am 

You can completely control the Win10 updates. There are all kinds of options. I was an early adopter of windows and never looked back. Yes I have had a couple of update problems but they were easy to fix. With the five computers in the house once I had to reload printer drivers on one and sound card drivers on another. I do not think that is much of a big deal.
Yes Win10 comes with a lot of crap that loads when you do a fresh install but it easy to remove most of it. I am perfectly happy with Win10’s built in defenses and feel no need to bring in 3rd party protection, but there are a few things that need setting up. Plenty of help online for this.
With the new machines with ssd’s it does not take long to do a fresh install and reload programs.
I keep all data off the os drive on a nas that is protected from the Internet. I put nothing in the cloud, I still do not trust the cloud.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 7:13 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
You can completely control the Win10 updates. There are all kinds of options. I was an early adopter of windows and never looked back. Yes I have had a couple of update problems but they were easy to fix. With the five computers in the house once I had to reload printer drivers on one and sound card drivers on another. I do not think that is much of a big deal.
Yes Win10 comes with a lot of crap that loads when you do a fresh install but it easy to remove most of it. I am perfectly happy with Win10’s built in defenses and feel no need to bring in 3rd party protection, but there are a few things that need setting up. Plenty of help online for this.
With the new machines with ssd’s it does not take long to do a fresh install and reload programs.
I keep all data off the os drive on a nas that is protected from the Internet. I put nothing in the cloud, I still do not trust the cloud.

I have been using Windows 10 Pro since just before they did away with the free upgrade. As I mentioned before, when I did the install I said no to all the Microsoft questions for all the new goodies (crap as Paul calls them). I also found a workaround on line for doing the install without creating a Microsoft account and sending all your history to them. I have had very good luck with it and am happy. BTW, I also worked with HPUX on our company HP 9000. Great operating system but also not without its bugs.