DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: COVID-19
PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 7:51 pm 

Jim G wrote:
I'll take that bet! It will have to be carry out though. Covid, aka The Coronavirus will be active in some location here in the US in November. Possibly, much of the country.

Bet is what happens to this virus after Nov 4th. I say you won’t hear about it after 4th.

Game on ?

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 8:15 pm 

Shashi,

I do not believe that the COVID-19 virus is political. It is real, kills and severely damages people, regardless of their political persuasion. The POLITICAL issue revolves around the poor preparedness, laggard response, denial of severity, belittlement of expert advice, mismanagement of resources, avoidance of responsibility, promotion of quackery, selfishness, stupidity, "owning the libs", I can go on and on. Why have other countries been able to manage their outbreaks whereas we are struggling? Why are we the epicenter for this outbreak? Why are we pityed around the world, the country that did so much to address and reduce epidemics and disease world-wide are at the mercy of an outbreak and not capable of bringing it under control, and then refusing international help and cooperation by withdrawing from the WHO.

You are right on one thing, after Nov 4 (actually Jan 20), it WILL be different. Until then, we have to suffer from incompetence in-extremis.

David

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 9:00 pm 

Cogito wrote:
...Game on ?

Game on.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/we- ... or-attacks

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 7:37 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Shashi,

I do not believe that the COVID-19 virus is political. It is real, kills and severely damages people, regardless of their political persuasion. The POLITICAL issue revolves around the poor preparedness, laggard response, denial of severity, belittlement of expert advice, mismanagement of resources, avoidance of responsibility, promotion of quackery, selfishness, stupidity, "owning the libs", I can go on and on. Why have other countries been able to manage their outbreaks whereas we are struggling? Why are we the epicenter for this outbreak? Why are we pityed around the world, the country that did so much to address and reduce epidemics and disease world-wide are at the mercy of an outbreak and not capable of bringing it under control, and then refusing international help and cooperation by withdrawing from the WHO.

You are right on one thing, after Nov 4 (actually Jan 20), it WILL be different. Until then, we have to suffer from incompetence in-extremis.

David

I came to this country in 1987. Very clearly remember how Ronald Regan, towards the end his second term, was acting as if he does not remember anything to avoid prosecution. He was acting as if his memory is failing after his Presidency was over. He went to Japan on a speaking tour and acted as if he could not recollect facts.

Well, that is how media portrayed him and I believed it for several years.

Joe Biden is in a worse mental situation during the election of his first term than Regan was at the end of his second term. If you think Americans (excluding those who are prisoners of ideology) are going to a borderline senile person you are mistaken. I have lot more trust in the people.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 8:15 am 

:-) Nice try changing the conversation Shashi.

Here's an official statement from the White House press secretary yesterday, conveying the current President's thoughts about Covid.
...“When he says open, he means open and full, kids being able to attend each and every day at their school,” she said. “The science should not stand in the way of this.”

We're back up to 1000 deaths a day, not to mention the long term, possibly permanent damage they're just starting to learn about. Your hero Reagan put his head in the sand the same way during the AIDS epidemic. That's what I remember him for.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 9:51 am 

Shashi,

I am concerned about propagating a Trump campaign (and conservative media) attack line on Biden, one that is surprising since Trump has a strong history of dementia in his family, and has been pretty incoherent and rambling in alot of his statements as of late. Kind of like the old phrase "the pot calling the kettle black".

I am concerned about Biden's age, don't get me wrong. I know that he will decline over stress of the presidency. He was not my first choice. But he exhibits decency and humanity, and a willingness to listen to others. His speeches are coherent, thoughtful and moving. He may have an occational slip of speech, if you are speaking publicly, particularly off the cuff, it is not uncommon for words to be twisted or an incomplete or erroneous recollection. He has been in public life a very long time, and therefore there is alot of memories to recall that can be fact checked against what is known publicly or stated previously. It is very easy to take a few instances of slips (which happen to all of us, BTW) and expand them into some theory that he is suffering from serious dementia.

I believe Joe Biden views himself as a bridge to the next generation of leaders. And I hope and trust that will extend to his choice of a VP candidate, since it is likely that person will be president, either during his elected term (I hope that is not the case), or as his successor in 2024. (BTW, it would be an interesting situation that there could be two Indian-American candidates opposing each other for President in 2024!)

The whole argument about Joe Biden's mental competency is a canard, and frankly, one of the only lines of attack that the Trump campaign can employ, since it is clear they are being beaten by their own candidate's demonstrated lack of competency as President. It is trying to drag Joe Biden down to Trump's level and neutralize any difference between them.

However, with Trump, we are staring into the abyss. His view of the Presidency is a strongmans' view, and democracy will die from it. He view of power is absolute authority, succession is like a King, passed to his family. I look at what is happening in Portland with great concern, since it is appearing the administration is deploying unidentified federal agents and/or contractors to crack down and detain protesters, without due process, the presence of these forces and action taken over the opposition of the city and state governmental leaders, and actually constitutes a violation of Constitutional power division between the State and the Federal governments. This is secret police behavior, and concerned that Portland is a test bed for future suppression of dissenters and political opponents throughout the country. I did not think this could ever be possible.

This is the most important election of my life. [/soapbox]

Anyway, enough. We are all friends in DCAudioDIY land, and lets keep it that way. We may have our differences politically, I know I am politically opposite of Roscoe or even perhaps Pete, but they are still friends that I enjoy talking to, being with and having a good time listening to music and equipment. I want to keep that with you, and hope that anything I am saying is taken in a good spirits. I know we are probably not going to change each other's minds, but it is good to speak openly, even if there is disagreement.

I am looking forward (when it safe after Nov. 4 ;) ) to hear your horn system, which I take some pride that you have been able to use some of my handiwork for.

Respectfully,

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 10:47 am 

If you don't think things are political, you are an idiot. Everything gets made political. You can't even watch TV without having something shoved down your throat. All I wanna do is watch a sitcom rerun and I get rainbow emplems in the corner.

Companies are political, to the point that I have switched banks, stopped eating at certain places, and I want to dump my Cable provider (remember the thread on Roku?).

Stop watching and believing the fake news. They are not your friends. They lie to you and are biased to the max.

He is right thou. The story will change later this year/next year depending on what, or should I say who happens.

If you don't believe things aren't political, just look at this thread. We are a bunch of nobodies who took a thread on an unknown forum duscussing the virus and made it political.

What do you think happens with people some power discusses it (news media)?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:09 am 

David McGown wrote:
Shashi,

David

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:51 am 

mix4fix wrote:
If you don't think things are political, you are an idiot. Everything gets made political. You can't even watch TV without having something shoved down your throat. All I wanna do is watch a sitcom rerun and I get rainbow emplems in the corner.

Companies are political, to the point that I have switched banks, stopped eating at certain places, and I want to dump my Cable provider (remember the thread on Roku?).

Stop watching and believing the fake news. They are not your friends. They lie to you and are biased to the max.

He is right thou. The story will change later this year/next year depending on what, or should I say who happens.

If you don't believe things aren't political, just look at this thread. We are a bunch of nobodies who took a thread on an unknown forum duscussing the virus and made it political.

What do you think happens with people some power discusses it (news media)?

Watch out, though, I believe one's perspective of what constitutes "fake news" depends on your trusted source of information. For me, "fake news" may be Fox or OAN. For you, it may be CNN, MSNBC. We have isolated ourselves into factions, team loyalty is more important and shapes what we what to consider as the "truth".

Too often "fake news" really means "inconvenient truth", something that disturbs the narrative or position one is taking or believe, and therefore needs to be denied or denigrated in lieu of critical examination for veracity. "Fake news" attacks the messenger, not the truth.

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 12:03 pm 

They have been fake news for a long time. It is just getting worse. Fake news wouldn't know a truth if it was given to them. That's the inconvenient truth.

Know the old saying: "we are from the government, and we are here to help you"? It now includes: "we are the media, and we tell it like it is".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next