DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: COVID-19
PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 12:50 am 

SoundMods wrote:
And politics are back -- and yet I got "spanked" for bringing politics into the blog. :angry-banghead:

Instead of screaming “ORANGE MAN BAD”, We are actually having intellectual discussions here.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 7:36 am 

mix4fix wrote:
The format of the media is irrevelant. If the magazine editor has the same ideology as the fake news media, there is no difference.

Sigh...

I better put this record on my VPI HW17 and give it a good scrubbing...it has a nasty skip.

Our approach to information or news is too either:

1. Witness it ourselves to see it complete in the original context...the problem is we cannot see everything or be everywhere. Sometimes no one except a select few have access. This takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to stay informed.
2. Read/watch a first person accounts of those who witness the event...the problem there is we are immediately subject to their recollections of the event and filtering of what was important, and, yes to an extent, an contextual editorializing of its meaning. This is basic "on the scene" reporting.
3. Read or watch top level summaries of the events (i.e. headlines, T.V. news stories). This is severe editing, since much is left out that provides context and can tend towards the sensational "gotcha". Hopefully it is just acting as an attention giver, and encouraging one to read a more detailed news account. However by itself this is where blatant bias can be introduced, even if not by intent.
4. Read a narrative or details of the event spliced together based on partial and highly restricted information, often after the fact. This is investigative journalism, trying to determine what is happening that is hidden from our view. Good reporting will take the story where leads, using reliable sources of information, bad reporting will ignore, discount, or even in rare cases fabricate information, using hearsay or anonymous, un-validated sources to construct a false narrative, either by intention or by mistake.
5. Read analysis - this is drawing together many events and information, and, based on "expert" knowledge, describe how these events could effect us personally, financially, etc. This is obviously a place where bias comes into play, since different people can look at the same information and draw different conclusions. The exception are areas like hard sciences, where the scientific method, process and peer review tends to drive to a consensus based on the information.
6. Read opinion - well, this is pretty obviously biased, can have good analysis, but the intent is to influence or state a position.
7. Consume Propaganda - An intentional distortion of the news, information or facts to reflect a fixed political point of view and to influence and control people's behavior. Not a good thing.

Good, responsible news sources will self-correct. They will state when they get something wrong and issue a retraction. They also try, maybe not successfully, differentiate between news, analysis, and opinion. Poor news sources will not correct errors but change the subject or build on the falsehood introduced to construct and maintain a false narrative. They do not make any distinction between opinion and news. News is presented and tailored to a particular audience, rather than a general audience, to influence and reinforce the biases of the audience, rather trying to truly inform and enlighten against the audience natural bias.

The question for us, is to recognize where bias occurs, determine what is that bias is, and understand where there is truth, and where there is distortion. Labeling something as "Fake News" to discount or ignore the source completely throws the baby out with the bath water, since bias can and is introduced anywhere in the process by any source of information. As I have stated before, "Fake News" often is used as denial and belittlement of sources, where the information conflicts with personal bias or the propaganda that is being disseminated. It is a way to attack, denigrate and marginalize the press so that information can be controlled by those in power.

David

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 10:28 am 

Labeling them fake news is being accurate. No matter how many words you post, it doesn't change that fact.They all push a the same, biased narrative. Media is not America's friends.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 11:21 am 

mix4fix wrote:
Labeling them fake news is being accurate. No matter how many words you post, it doesn't change that fact.They all push a the same, biased narrative. Media is not America's friends.

So where do you get your information? Or are you in denial of everything? Who do you consider are "America's friends".

The First Amendment of the Constitution guarantees the Freedom of Press, because the Founders of this Nation recognized that this freedom is the first defense against tyranny. An informed and literate public is less prone to fall under the sway of demagoguery, and government is forced to exist in open exposure and not in secret. The press, through the history in this country has often presented a variety of points of view that show bias, look up the term "Yellow Journalism". So what is so different now?

A government or leadership that wants to operate in secret and expects loyalty and obedience hates the press. One of the first actions of any totalitarian or autocratic government is abolishment of a free press and the establishment of a government controlled media to control information and broadcast propaganda to the citizens for purpose of indoctrination and control.

By constantly crying "Fake News!" and suggesting that the media is an enemy, you are playing in the hands of those who want to turn this Nation into an autocracy. You are either ignorant, a fool, or an enabler. Your attitude is a danger to the stability and functioning of a democracy, and alas, I believe that this is the case for all too many.

So go ahead and wrap yourself in the flag, though not quite clear WHICH flag that might be. Salute authority, follow them blindly and work to deprive others of their freedom to express their grievances, to deprive them of their legitimacy, equal rights, respect, and opportunity in this society. Deny others the information they feel they need to be informed and critical of those in power and leadership. As far as I am concerned, YOU are NOT a friend to America, because YOU want to deny how people should be informed in a free society.

David

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 12:48 pm 

Nobody said get rid of media as a whole. Don't put words in people's mouths.

It's funny how you point out CNN versus Fox, but here is a simple test: I don't care about any other President - name some positive things Trump has done. Facts. I don't care about your opinion or medias opinion on what you think is negative. Name some positives.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14