DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TV streaming devices
PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 1:19 pm 

I have a Roku a friend gave me when he upgraded to a 4k version. I'm still watching on a 720p plasma tv that looks great with an over the air antenna in our attic.

We use the Roku to stream an NBC Sports channel that before Covid shows international bicycle racing which is a great way to see the countryside of Europe without commercials. It costs about $3.50 a month. If you're going to need 4-5 streaming services to get the programming you want, keeping the cable may still be the best option. I have friends who famously announced they were cutting the cable and are now paying more for combined internet and half a dozen streaming services.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 1:26 pm 

Verizon did not have the British, Australian, New Zealand, and European programming we wanted.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 1:49 pm 

brombo wrote:
That is you are in an area that gets decent reception. I live between Wheaton Park and the North West Branch Park in Montgomery Country. Due to the foliage and the fact we are down in a holler (if you are from West Virginia) means reception is lousy.

With regard to streaming devices has anyone tried the Fire TV Cube. I use my htpc running Ubuntu 18.04 and for streaming (Sling TV, Acorn TV, BritBox, Amazon Prime Videos, and MHz Choice) use Google Chrome.

You live close to the "antenna farm" in NW DC that could be pulled in with rabbit ears. Plus you are close enough to the Virginia channels. As far as Baltimore channels are concerned there are four major networks with towers on Television hill. The transmitter antennas are 1,300-feet above sea level.

Here is the thing -- digital TV is very robust. I was a first adopter back in the late '90s. I would have fun with visitors and tune to WRC-TV. Their tower is located on Nebraska Ave. NW -- near American University. I am located in Parkville, MD just outside the northeast corner of Baltimore City. Originally broadcasters simulcast programing on their old analog system and the new digital system for the transition. The analog signal was barely watchable if at all -- it was buried in noise (snow). Then I would switch to the digital channel and it came in crystal clear. That has been my ongoing experience ever since.

It is said that there is programming on cable or streaming that you can't get off-air. That's true -- if it is worth watching. Every damn business trip I've been on with cable or satellite TV in the room -- with 100-200 channels available to me -- I ended up watching network broadcasts.

A cool feature of off-air broadcast is that I am not blocked from DC or Virginia channels. When I have work in DC or Virginia I can watch the traffic reports on DC television -- an ability not available otherwise.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm 

To answer the OP's internet options question without all the BS about what others do or don't like about TV, besides cable or a marginal (upload) satellite, you may consider a wi-fi hotspot using your cell phone or a dedicated hot spot.

I use T-mobile and the combined rate is very reasonable. We have a place in South Carolina that we don't visit all that often, so we don't pay for cable or internet service there. When we go down there we use one of our phones as a hot spot. Serves us well for an internet connection and to watch movies on TV.

I think the monthly fee is $20 or $30.

Stuart

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 3:38 pm 

Jim G wrote:
I have a Roku a friend gave me when he upgraded to a 4k version. I'm still watching on a 720p plasma tv that looks great with an over the air antenna in our attic.

We use the Roku to stream an NBC Sports channel that before Covid shows international bicycle racing which is a great way to see the countryside of Europe without commercials. It costs about $3.50 a month. If you're going to need 4-5 streaming services to get the programming you want, keeping the cable may still be the best option. I have friends who famously announced they were cutting the cable and are now paying more for combined internet and half a dozen streaming services.

I still use the Panasonic 1080p Plasma TV. Plasmas look wonderful because of how well they handle black levels.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Cogito wrote:
I still use the Panasonic 1080p Plasma TV. Plasmas look wonderful because of how well they handle black levels.

Yeah, but they're VERY RF unfriendly, so us ham radio operators avoid them like the plague...

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 4:25 pm 

Cogito wrote:
Jim G wrote:

I remember seeing a Plasma TV for the first time -- I think I left a puddle of drool at the store. That was the best of the best, but a bitch to manufacture.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 4:33 pm 

I think you would like my current TV substitute -

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhz65/#

Plenty bright on a 120 inch screen.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

SoundMods wrote:

I remember seeing a Plasma TV for the first time -- I think I left a puddle of drool at the store. That was the best of the best, but a bitch to manufacture.

They're no good if you live in the mountains either, most of them are only rated to 5000ft, too much differential pressure at higher altitudes...

Roscoe

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 6:39 pm 

I still use the Panasonic 1080p Plasma TV. Plasmas look wonderful because of how well they handle black levels.[/quote]

The new LG OLEDs have great blacks also because you can totally turn off individual pixels.