Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Speaker wires

June 3rd, 2020, 10:53 pm

Take 50 ohm coax and parallel it. Two 50 ohm coaxes in parallel have a characteristic impedance of 25 ohms. Five 50 ohm coaxes in parallel have a characteristic impedance of 10 ohms and so forth. To parallel the cables just tie the center conductors together and separately tie the shields together. RG58 should be fine. You probably want the parallel cable impedance to be comparable to the midrange/tweeter impedance of the speaker.

June 4th, 2020, 9:07 am

Pelliott321 wrote:Ok but what about the part that is exposed at the connection.

I use CAIG DeoxIT. It coats the connection and suppresses oxidation. It's a trickle-down product from the military.

http://www.techni-tool.com/218CH905?mkw ... gKCAfD_BwE

June 4th, 2020, 11:58 am

So does WD40

June 4th, 2020, 12:18 pm

But, do you like the sound WD40?

June 4th, 2020, 12:47 pm

It's the best

June 4th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:So does WD40

No. It's not even close to the same thing. CAIG's product used to be known as Cramolin. It was originally developed for motor commutators.

June 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm

WD40 does just what the name says, "Water Displacement". It was designed for the military to use in the field when firearms got wet. It prevented rust until the firearm could be brought back to a location where proper cleaning, lubrication, and rust prevention could be done. It has taken on an aura of a "do everything" product which it is not. I would not use it for electrical purposes.

June 4th, 2020, 8:54 pm

tomp wrote:WD40 does just what the name says, "Water Displacement". It was designed for the military to use in the field when firearms got wet. It prevented rust until the firearm could be brought back to a location where proper cleaning, lubrication, and rust prevention could be done. It has taken on an aura of a "do everything" product which it is not. I would not use it for electrical purposes.

10-4

June 5th, 2020, 7:24 am

Again pardon me for trying to be funny.

June 5th, 2020, 8:57 am

Great idea to inject humor but if you are doing that you should use a smiley face to let people know it is humor. With the weird stuff going around in audio sometimes the most outrageous stuff gets taken as fact.
Post a reply