Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Speaker wires

June 1st, 2020, 12:41 pm

Alcohol consumption.

June 1st, 2020, 3:56 pm

and other attitude adjustment inhalants

June 2nd, 2020, 6:43 am

DaveR wrote:Alcohol consumption.

That explains why you like Solid State Gear. :lol: :lol:

June 2nd, 2020, 7:13 am

Let’s not go there.
SS vs glass is an old debate like lots of others in this hobby. Except the fact that SS Just sounds different than glass. Just like digitally stored music files over tape or vinyl.
I have heard some pretty horrible glass amps.

June 2nd, 2020, 7:34 am

Cogito wrote:IMO here is the list of things that make most difference to sound in order of their influence on the sound

1. Room Acoustics
2. Speakers
3. Amplifiers
4. Pre Amp
5. DAC/Photo
6. Capacitors
7. Wires

Did I miss anything?

The on / off switch.

The curious thing is that we keep making changes to our systems so that it will sound different, possibly better, possibly worse. It reminds me of the system that many reviewers of the Gramophone magazine used to have back in the 60's. Quad electrostatics, Quad amplifier, Garrrard 301 or 401, SME arm, Shure V15. It seemed most of them never changed away except to replace the Quad amps by Radford.

ray

June 2nd, 2020, 8:42 am

[quote="Pelliott321"]
SS vs glass is an old debate like lots of others in this hobby. Except the fact that SS Just sounds different than glass. Just like digitally stored music files over tape or vinyl.

Not necessarily do. Depends on the amps. David and I have tested some of his tube amps vs some of my solid state and they sound the same and very good. I think it depends more on the design and implementation of either technology. Any technology properly used will sound equally good.

June 2nd, 2020, 3:14 pm

Where were the wires stored?

June 2nd, 2020, 5:01 pm

Pelliott321 wrote:Presently I am using Dave Raden’s thermostat wire. I little bright for me, but very good.

Is there a link to this stuff?

June 2nd, 2020, 5:10 pm

Google: 18-8 thermostat wire

June 2nd, 2020, 5:14 pm

Do you run a single run per speaker or double up (one wire for each leg)?

DaveR wrote:Google: 18-8 thermostat wire
Post a reply