DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:00 pm 

This would be the perfect time for a meet at your house, but alas....

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I'd put the network back to factory to start, and work on positioning if that's possible. The speakers appear to be too close to the front wall and the chair too close to the speakers. Not to generalize but OB speakers I've heard like being out in the room, perhaps with diffraction behind them to give you later arrival of the rear wave. If that's not possible, try separating them much wider and turning them in so you're on axis at the chair. Much wider. That may also get you better dispersion of the rear wave. The setup I heard at CAF (maybe M3?) had the speakers setup on the diagonal across a corner, likely because they couldn't get them to image well in the normal arrangement.

I don't know if they're designed to sit below the tweeter, but that appears to be the case in your picture? Any less of a problem standing? Again, possibly an indication the chair is too close or too low?

Attached a picture of the wide on axis arrangement.

Attachments:
image (3).jpeg
image (3).jpeg [ 40.58 KiB | Viewed 6434 times ]

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:43 pm 

Jim,

Absolutely right. To get a good audio performance a good room is a must. Not saying Paul's room has problems or anything.

Also, IMO OBs should be at least 8-10ft from the rear walls. But then Paul was using Magnepans which are OBs also. May be too much bass energy firing towards the rear wall from the twin woofers in the new system might be contributing to the problems.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 12:44 pm 

Speakers are almost four feet out, two feet from side walls.
Don’t be fooled but wide angle lens.
Speakers were set up as designers recommendations for the size of my room.
I have adjusted a couple of inches each way to try to get the best sound.
This is very similar to set up in hotel room in Florida.
I have spent many hours listening to music through these speakers.
The graphs basically show a very smooth response. I doubt many other speaker would be this good.
The problem is what I am hearing. First I am being highly critical. I have had two friends over and they think they sound great. I think they sound good. I loved the Maggie’s and the Quads are still magical. The Spatial’s are not.
As I have said I was not born last night

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 1:00 pm 

Subs look too close to the woofers.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Pelliott321 wrote:
As I have said I was not born last night

I may have been born yesterday, but I stayed up late last night :confusion-confused:

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 4:02 pm 

I just had a long chat with the designer.
He gave me a couple of things to do over the next 24 hours or so to do
I will let you all know what happens

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 5:42 pm 

Paul, I'm sorry you're having this issue with the Spatials, at shows I've never noticed the same tweeter problem, and you're right about them disappearing in Hotel rooms. I hope that whatever Clayton has you trying works for your system. If we weren't in this stay at home order like Jim said we would come over and help. Best wishes on your new venture.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 7:58 pm 

These are very good speakers. Just noti in love yet.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:15 pm 

To get the magic you've experienced, you may want to recreate at your house what they did at the show. I know you have a MZ preamp already, I imagine Mark or Dave would loan you an amplifier. I have a Lampizator you can use, and it shouldn't be hard to get a set of the Anti-Cables. I think you said there's an Innuous server on the way. Then, the only difference is your room. It could be the speakers may prefer the low output impedance of the Berning tube amplifiers, or your cabling is a mismatch. I don't know, but if you heard magic before, try and recreate it since this will be a reference system you'll use to compare other equipment. :-)

PostPosted: May 29th, 2020, 7:26 am 

An audio show is like a wine tasting. You get small sips of many wines and you decide you like one wine better than the others. You buy a bottle and take it home and it's not as good as you thought, or maybe it just doesn't go with the food you are having for dinner.

Perhaps if you are struggling to identify why your new system now lacks the special magic, you should listen to some other systems and try to determine what that difference is.

ray

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next