DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 9:44 am 

Tweeter data sheet response curve:
Attachment:
tweeter response.jpg
tweeter response.jpg [ 30.54 KiB | Viewed 5369 times ]

my measurement: only showing 100Hz on up
Attachment:
M3_tweeter_100-20knew_web.jpg
M3_tweeter_100-20knew_web.jpg [ 58.6 KiB | Viewed 5369 times ]

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 9:45 am 

The two 15inch woofers:

Attachment:
M3_Top_Woof_new_web.jpg
M3_Top_Woof_new_web.jpg [ 55.53 KiB | Viewed 5369 times ]

Bottom
Attachment:
M3_Bot_Woof_new_web.jpg
M3_Bot_Woof_new_web.jpg [ 52.77 KiB | Viewed 5369 times ]

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 9:47 am 

Tweeter spec sheet
Attachment:
Tweeterb.pdf [243.1 KiB]
Downloaded 426 times

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:27 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Room set up
Attachment:
room_measure1_Xsm_web.jpg

Pink noise realRTA
Attachment:
M3_full_new_web.jpg

It's interesting in that you have an issue with tweeter dominance in a bad way and yet the in-room response shows a "soft" roll-off.

Because of the attachment resolution I can't read the scales, but it appears that you have a depressed lower mid-range as well.

Did you try (carefully) to run the speakers without the 33-ufd capacitor to evaluate the capacitor's effect on sound quality?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:28 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
If. I understand you correctly if I low pass at 6k. Dose this mean the drop off is above 6k, then there will be no highs

exactly.

The idea is to evaluate if the tweeter is any good. If you are happy with the tweeter's performance within a Decade, you can entertain the idea of adding a super tweeter above 6kHz. if you are still not happy with the tweeter, well you know the answer.

Those FR graphs of simple sine waves you posted are useless for judging the driver's performance with real music.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:35 am 

Cogito wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:
If. I understand you correctly if I low pass at 6k. Dose this mean the drop off is above 6k, then there will be no highs

exactly.

The idea is to evaluate if the tweeter is any good. If you are happy with the tweeter's performance within a Decade, you can entertain the idea of adding a super tweeter above 6kHz. if you are still not happy with the tweeter, well you know the answer.

Those FR graphs of simple sine waves you posted are useless for judging the driver's performance with real music.

Paul's RTA, which is typical of all of them, utilizes pink-noise for measurements -- not sine waves. With pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise energy.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:40 am 

No I have not run the speakers with out the 33uf yet.
still waiting to hear what the designer has to say.

If you look at the full range graph it is pretty flat
Attachment:
M3_full_new.jpg
M3_full_new.jpg [ 357.38 KiB | Viewed 5366 times ]

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 10:52 am 

SoundMods wrote:
Cogito wrote:
Pelliott321 wrote:

exactly.

Paul's RTA, which is typical of all of them, utilizes pink-noise for measurements -- not sine waves. With pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise energy.

when it comes to judging musicality of a driver, pink noise is no more useful than a simple sine wave. It only tell us the driver is capable of making noise at a certain loudness in a frequency range. Unlike music, there are no variations in pink noise wave form. Once you introduce the music wave, all bets are off.

with pink noise you cannot judge how a driver sounds or how accurately it responds to musical waves.

ear is the best judge.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 11:00 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
No I have not run the speakers with out the 33uf yet.
still waiting to hear what the designer has to say.

If you look at the full range graph it is pretty flat
Attachment:
M3_full_new.jpg

It appears that you have a -4-db depression in the lower mids/upper bass from 150-Hz. to approx. 400-hz. and your treble is down -14-db at about 18-kHz. with the roll-off starting at about 6-kHz.

Then of course there is the lower bass roll-off as would be expected with an open-back dipole.

Did you experience that response characteristic with your Magnepans?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2020, 11:02 am 

[/quote]

when it comes to judging musicality of a driver, pink noise is no more useful than a simple sine wave. It only tell us the driver is capable of making noise at a certain loudness in a frequency range. Unlike music, there are no variations in pink noise wave form. Once you introduce the music wave, all bets are off.

with pink noise you cannot judge how a driver sounds or how accurately it responds to musical waves.

ear is the best judge.[/quote]

Sad but true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next