Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

What do you think of this

May 26th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Builder/designer of a fairly large speaker company claiming that he has no crossover in the tweeter path, but dose use a cap to “limit cone excursion” what does that mean
Stay tuned I will be talking to him tomorrow

Re: What do you think of this

May 26th, 2020, 5:30 pm

Just a guess - maybe the tweeter rolls off on its own where he wants it to in order to integrate with the woofer, so he doesn't consider the cap a crossover, but he uses a cap big enough to roll it off lower than that to limit excursion. (It still sounds like a crossover to me.)

May 26th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Clearly not a crossover, it's a first order excursion limiter :lol:

May 26th, 2020, 6:34 pm

The tweeter does roll off naturally starting at 1k and looks like 3db down around 750 pHz.
The cap is 33uf and impedance 8 ohms. That calcs out to 600hz 3db down.
So it looks like the cap is slightly below the natural roof off.
I still thinks this I quite a stretch of definitions.
The two other drivers are 15inch each has a different slope
One rolls off at around 200 the rolls off at 600hz

May 26th, 2020, 11:09 pm

Anthony Gallo did this with his speakers. His was a capacitive tweeter. A capacitor is inserted in series and attenuates the tweeter across it's entire frequency range to match the woofer sensitivity without rolloff. A 5mf capacitor is 1.5db louder than a 4mf. The tweeters were built with a slope to match the woofers and only needed to be adjusted for level. The woofers also rolled off without crossover components to meet the tweeter. The attenuating capacitor was the only crossover component.

May 27th, 2020, 6:00 am

sorry I do not quite follow this.
These are much higher values that 4 or5 uf.
33uf on the 8ohm tweeter

May 27th, 2020, 9:07 am

I can't speak to the values involved. I only know that in the Gallo speakers the capacitor doesn't create a rolloff or cause a phase shift, it only attenuates the tweeter level across it's entire frequency range.

May 27th, 2020, 9:34 am

Jim G wrote:I can't speak to the values involved. I only know that in the Gallo speakers the capacitor doesn't create a rolloff or cause a phase shift, it only attenuates the tweeter level across it's entire frequency range.

Either someone is lying to you, or it's not merely a capacitor.

May 27th, 2020, 9:53 am

Pelliott321 wrote:Builder/designer of a fairly large speaker company claiming that he has no crossover in the tweeter path, but dose use a cap to “limit cone excursion” what does that mean
Stay tuned I will be talking to him tomorrow

1st order crossover. 6-db/octave. If it looks like a crossover -- and sounds like a crossover -- it is a crossover. :roll:

May 27th, 2020, 10:06 am

I could jumper the cap and take a listen and or measure
Post a reply