Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Small bell type of thingies on the speakers

May 25th, 2020, 10:10 am

If you are willing to go that far then DSP on the woofer makes more sense.
I do not think one can hear the digital nasties that DSP injects into the system at the lower registers.
Oh my I just heard the hairs raise on the back of Toms neck!!!

May 25th, 2020, 10:41 am

Paul,

In my room I have peaks around 80Hz and 110Hz. These are caused by the standing waves between the side walls and ceiling and floor. With DSP, you can bring down the peaks but the standing waves will still exist causing excessive delay times. Those things can only be corrected by room treatments. With traditional methods, you can reduce the room's natural resonances but on a broadband basis. Helmholtz resonator is the only method I am aware of that can target certain frequencies and bring down the peaks and as well as delay times.

The construction of Helmholtz resonator is extremely simple. Construct a sealed box and drill a few holes and play with its positioning in the room. There are calculators online.

What have I gotta loose?

May 25th, 2020, 10:43 am

Cogito wrote:Paul,

In my room I have peaks around 80Hz and 110Hz. These are caused by the standing waves between the side walls and ceiling and floor. With DSP, you can bring down the peaks but the standing waves will still exist causing excessive delay times. Those things can only be corrected by room treatments. With traditional methods, you can reduce the room's natural resonances but on a broadband basis. Helmholtz resonator is the only method I am aware of that can target certain frequencies and bring down the peaks and as well as delay times.

The construction of Helmholtz resonator is extremely simple. Construct a sealed box and drill a few holes and play with its positioning in the room. There are calculators online.

What have I gotta loose?

Time and money.

May 25th, 2020, 10:57 am

This forum is not the place to discuss non-conventional issues. I will post if and when I need to tweak a capacitor.

May 25th, 2020, 10:59 am

Pelliott321 wrote:If you are willing to go that far then DSP on the woofer makes more sense.
I do not think one can hear the digital nasties that DSP injects into the system at the lower registers.
Oh my I just heard the hairs raise on the back of Toms neck!!!

What? I can't hear you. :crazy:
Post a reply