Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: 12VDC wattage requirement for 120VAC light

May 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Be careful of any electronics from harbor freight. This is the cheapest Chinese stuff.
Look closely at the specs. It says up to 87% efficiency.
I would cut that number down and assume it’s more like 50%.
Check YouTube for reviews of harbor freight inverters.
If you are using the vehicle’s starting battery for this project be sur to monitor battery voltage to make sure you don’t draw it down so far the vehicle will not start.
There are devices (battery savors) that will cut off load when vehicle battery gets to low

May 19th, 2020, 8:40 am

[quote="Pelliott321"](battery savors)

Paul:

I didn't know batteries tasted good. :crazy:

Steve:

Don't fall into the trap of getting an inverter that is a lot larger than what you need. Inverter efficiency starts at essentially zero for no load and goes to a maximum near rated load. If you get a large inverter and run a light load, you will suffer from lower efficiency. That probably wouldn't matter if you keep the van running but then you have a major efficiency loss in the van.

May 19th, 2020, 11:26 am

What about the EverStart brand from Walmart?

May 19th, 2020, 11:53 am

As I said, I don't know specific brands.

May 19th, 2020, 1:38 pm

mix4fix wrote:I have a pair of 120V under cabinet plug-in lights. My plan is to use them in my work van since the crappy battery powered ones keep failing down (magnetic) and they break since they are cheap......

Is there a reason you're not looking at just wiring in a couple 12 volt led lights where needed? They're super efficient and use little power. You can also wire in a usb outlet on the same circuit to run your laptop and charge a cell phone.

May 19th, 2020, 2:15 pm

getting direct dc power led would make much more since.
I just assumed you already had the 110v led on hand. but it would be cheaper to get new 12v LED instead of using and inverter
unlese you had other 110v devices to run

May 19th, 2020, 3:10 pm

I have a small inverter with a power strip mounted to charge various small items in the van (laptop, rechargeable canned air/blower, etc. The lights were free, and I have an idea to secure them. I need a new inverter anyway, so it will solve everything. Everything has to be only functional when the van is on. I will add a second power strip to act as a master light switch.
Post a reply