DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Art Dudley
PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 4:53 pm 

Art Dudley, the audio reviewer, passed away after a short battle with liver cancer. Although this DIY group probably values professional audiophile reviewers less than most, I feel that this is a significant loss to the audiophile community. Art was one hell of a writer and I simply enjoyed his prose even if I was not terribly interested in the actual product under review. But Art did like a lot of the audio things I like such as idler drive turntables, vintage horn speakers, vacuum tubes including SET amps and he appeared very thoughtful and considered as he expressed his view on such matters. I met him about 20 years ago at an audio gathering and saw him a few times at CAF. He was really the only reason I actually still subscribe to Stereophile. Godspeed Art Dudley.

Post subject: Re: RIP Art Dudley
PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 5:07 pm 

Sad day, indeed.

As we were discussing in another topic, all reviewers have biases, but the best are able to accurately describe their experiences in a way that makes their biases immaterial. Art was one of the best in this regard, and 100% transparent in what he liked and didn't like.

Pete, like you, I don't read Stereophile for the Krell/Magico reviews........

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 5:20 pm 

I had just started to read his review of the Luxman pre-amp when this email arrived. I always looked forward to seeing what he wrote about because it usually would be different and interesting, something you had been curious about.

ray

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 7:36 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Art Dudley, the audio reviewer, passed away after a short battle with liver cancer. Although this DIY group probably values professional audiophile reviewers less than most, I feel that this is a significant loss to the audiophile community. Art was one hell of a writer and I simply enjoyed his prose even if I was not terribly interested in the actual product under review. But Art did like a lot of the audio things I like such as idler drive turntables, vintage horn speakers, vacuum tubes including SET amps and he appeared very thoughtful and considered as he expressed his view on such matters. I met him about 20 years ago at an audio gathering and saw him a few times at CAF. He was really the only reason I actually still subscribe to Stereophile. Godspeed Art Dudley.

WTF?! I've met and chatted with Art twice at CAFs and he seemed very healthy. In a recent Stereophile piece he was pictured with others and looked good. I've lost to date six people in my circle to cancer.

Yet the pharmaceutical companies will piss away research dollars on "boner" pills.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2020, 11:59 am 

TubeDriver wrote:
.... Art was one hell of a writer and I simply enjoyed his prose even if I was not terribly interested in the actual product under review....

I agree completely. He was a very good writer and I enjoyed his style. Very sad news.