DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OCL Amps good?
PostPosted: April 10th, 2020, 9:12 pm 

I don’t find much performance on OCL amps on the web. The Sansui Model 6 has OCL amp.

Sansui marketing material:
Quote:
The Six's power amplifier adopts an all-stage direct-coupled OCL circuit equipped with two (plus and Minus) power supplies, and in the process does away with coupling capacitor and output capacitors. If you compare this circuit with the conventional power amplifier citcuit using coupling capacitors betwee amplifying stages, you find that the Six has distinct advantages in terms of reduced distortion and a wider power bandwidth. The absence of the output capacitors also prevents degredation of the amplifier damping factor and resultant deterioration of tone quality. The output stage of the power amplifier is apure complementary circuit using NPN and PNP silicon transistos to achieve ideal phase inversion and keep both harmonic distortion and intermodulation distortion minimal at all output levels.

The stability and safety of a direct-coupled amplifier depends upon the effectiveness of temperature compensation and the stable operation of the driver-stage differential amplifier. Included in the Six is a specialized transistor for temperature compensation and a stabilizing circuit used especially for the differential amplifier.In addition, four quick-acting fuses and a newly designed relay circuit are incorporated to protect abnormal current from flowing into your speakers in the event that the power transistor (s) are damaged. Once the abnormal condition is corrected, the relay circuit automatically restores itself. And then it also mutes the pop noise generated when the receiver is switched on or off.

If OCL amps are that good why aren’t there more OCLs out there?

Post subject: Re: OCL Amps good?
PostPosted: April 10th, 2020, 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Cogito wrote:
I don’t find much performance on OCL amps on the web. The Sansui Model 6 has OCL amp.

There are... Anything that claims DC in a solid state amp qualifies. So all the Adcoms, Krells, . . . Most recent solid state power amps....

Roscoe

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 9:33 am 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
Cogito wrote:

There are... Anything that claims DC in a solid state amp qualifies. So all the Adcoms, Krells, . . . Most recent solid state power amps....

Roscoe

Got it. Thx.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2020, 10:15 am 

If OCL amps are that good why aren’t there more OCLs out there?[/quote]

Implementation can kill the best of designs. Cheap parts and parts that have no business being in an audio product can compromise the most elegant design. I have modified many pieces of kit over the years -- CD players, CD transports, DACs, pre-amps, power-amps, and speakers. There were times when I "lifted the hood" on a piece and was disgusted to see pretty good build quality with what I call "junk parts." Some surprises included Krell, McIntosh, Adcom, and B&W to name a few.

It is what it is. Manufacturers will call it value engineering -- but where is the "value" when you buy and sell truckloads of stuff? You can buy more than 1,000 pieces of anything and you are off the published price sheets. Honest manufacturers with a desire to produce nice audio equipment can put quality in a piece and still sell it for a fair price and make more than enough profit for company growth.

And people wonder why there is a DIY community.