DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 3:20 pm 

So Amy and I decided to make some virus protection masks. Does this still keep me in good standing as a DIYer?
Attachment:
masks02.jpg
masks02.jpg [ 147.61 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

Attachment:
masks04.jpg
masks04.jpg [ 118.16 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

Attachment:
masks06.jpg
masks06.jpg [ 109.18 KiB | Viewed 8284 times ]

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 3:21 pm 

Attachment:
masks07.jpg
masks07.jpg [ 125.98 KiB | Viewed 8282 times ]

Attachment:
masks08.jpg
masks08.jpg [ 183.79 KiB | Viewed 8282 times ]

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:03 pm 

A couple of weeks ago when it sounded like the local hospital might not have masks and I would have to go there this past Monday, I looked up how to make your own mask and found this -

https://youtu.be/VgHrnS6n4iA

The part I found interesting and amusing is that my wife had all the equipment. The green cutting board, scissors, ruler etc. She duly made five masks (to another design) and it turned out that the hospital did still have masks so my wife wore one of her own masks when she went out for the weekly shop at the nearby supermarket. By the way, she refuses to go to the local Aldi because it draws customers from a wider area. You have to be a desperate local to go to our closest supermarket. Her idea is that the Aldi is close to Delaware which is where most of Cecil's infected persons apparently picked up the virus.

One of your fellow forum members kindly sent me some proper N95 masks and the nurses at the infusion center were duly impressed. 'They are like gold' said one of them. This small hospital has already set up a virus ward but has plans to turn the infusion ward into an additonal virus ward and move the infusion center across the street to another building. You can't get in to the hospital unless you are getting medical attention. Your temperature is taken and you are told to wash your hands in the nearest bathroom and of course to rejoice in two verses of Happy Birthday. The corridors are empty except for hospital staff.

Interesting times, as the Chinese curse goes.

ray

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:17 pm 

On the web there is info on how to improve basic home made masks. One of the things that is still readily available on line is vacuum cleaner HEPA filters. You can disassemble them and add them to the cloth mask for better filtering of small particles down to virus size. Still not a substitute to staying at home but for when you must go out. Here are some test result f various materials. Note that the vacuum cleaner bag results are for HEPA rated filters, not plain paper or cloth filters.

Attachments:
Homemade masks.pdf [165.17 KiB]
Downloaded 440 times

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:40 pm 

Note if you are willing to wait a month you can still get N95 or KN95 masks from China from Amazon -

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=KN95+mask+ ... _sb_noss_2

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:43 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
So Amy and I decided to make some virus protection masks. Does this still keep me in good standing as a DIYer?

No doubt. Good job.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:45 pm 

brombo wrote:
Note if you are willing to wait a month you can still get N95 or KN95 masks from China from Amazon -

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=KN95+mask+ ... _sb_noss_2

I wont count on anything from China anytime soon. Report from Europe suggest 40% of the Corona Virus test kits from China are defective. Due to labor shortage, they must have completely abandoned QC. Also, there are reports of 2nd round of quarantines in China.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 4:47 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Attachment:
masks07.jpg

Attachment:
masks08.jpg

I thought you said no more DIY! :D

Nice work.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 6:27 pm 

The only problem with adding the hepa filter it that you cannot throw them in the wash, the hepa filter will fall apart.
This design from JoAnn Fabrics are three layers but is washable

PostPosted: April 5th, 2020, 8:34 am 

Pelliott321 wrote:
The only problem with adding the hepa filter it that you cannot throw them in the wash, the hepa filter will fall apart.
This design from JoAnn Fabrics are three layers but is washable

Correct. But I wonder if you can throw them in the microwave for a few seconds to kill the virus. I was also thinking that you could use the HEPA in a pocket between the cloth layers so It could be replaced if necessary. Who knows. Something to keep your mind active.