Switch to full style
A place for discussion of general audio, music and related topics.
Post a reply

Re: Speakers with drivers facing in another direction

April 1st, 2020, 9:28 am

I am still pissed at the Bose lawsuit against Consumers Reports. Consumers Reports got the physics right but were screwed in the lower courts by a jury trial. Imagine what a jury of audiophiles would have ruled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose_Corp ... tates,_Inc.

April 1st, 2020, 9:51 am

Amar Bose was a very talented engineer but an even smarter marketer. He determined what the masses wanted and gave it to them at excessive prices. Along the way he created a huge company and made a fortune. So who are the dummies?

April 1st, 2020, 10:09 am

as always to each his own.
I have an acquaintance over in west baltimore that has a set of 901's properly set up with good electronics and i think it sounds good.
Yes it a confused image of an omni but very pleasant to listen to

April 1st, 2020, 10:27 am

tomp wrote:Amar Bose was a very talented engineer but an even smarter marketer. He determined what the masses wanted and gave it to them at excessive prices. Along the way he created a huge company and made a fortune. So who are the dummies?

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

April 1st, 2020, 10:40 am

Are audiophile's excretions to only ones that smell sweet?

April 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm

When the tweeter is facing upwards, is there any changes that have to be made (crossover, etc)?

April 1st, 2020, 8:09 pm

Define upwards. In the Morrison speakers the tweeter faces upwards but there is a spherical acoustic reflector above it to make the pattern omnidirectional in the horizontal plane.

April 1st, 2020, 8:39 pm

Completely facing upwards towards the ceiling.

April 25th, 2020, 8:13 am

mix4fix wrote:Completely facing upwards towards the ceiling.

That sounds like the recipe for the Dolby Atmos speakers used in surround sound systems ...
based on encoding and special algorithms, it enables a 3D sound field with horizontal and vertical attributes ;)
Oh wait, the previous post in this thread was April 1st ...

April 25th, 2020, 12:03 pm

I was reminded of this approach by Dick Olsher last night: https://web.archive.org/web/20060312102 ... i/cbae.htm
Post a reply