DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 9:29 am 

Here's the Peerless S-265-Q tacked into the the same circuit. So...yeah, next time you see a Partridge WWVB going for big bucks on eBay, give it a pass. ;-)

Attachments:
B7D32FA0-AF97-4816-8459-A22AED5484D9.jpeg
B7D32FA0-AF97-4816-8459-A22AED5484D9.jpeg [ 207.63 KiB | Viewed 7078 times ]

PostPosted: March 19th, 2020, 10:50 am 

I have just ordered my white Ikea Roskog trolley and it should arrive in about a week.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/raskog-utility-cart-white-20382932/

I have most of the parts to build this KT88 amp but using a couple of 6550's I have. I intend to use this useful series of videos to see how it all works out. I plan to install the top tray upside down and fit the amp into the tray. I can put the uninstalled parts in the bottom two trays while I am building. If you look closely at the tray photos you can see that there is a steel mesh but I don't plan to let liquids near the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBgo9Md8IU&t=809s

Most of my stuff is up at a storage unit, but I have every box numbered and recorded in a spreadsheet so it shouldn't be too difficult to find whatever I need. It will be a good test. By the way, my system is to use small plastic lunch boxes from Dollar Tree and number them and then put them in larger cardboard U-Haul boxes. For example, my < 1K resistors are in plastic box 159 inside U-Haul box 5. When we arrive in Oz, I plan to leave everything in their plastic boxes and put them on shelves in the garage.

Since our house has just gone on the market, I should be able to wheel the trolley into a cupboard when necessary. I doubt we will get many inspections in the near future. I suspect we will all be housebound for the next two months. Qantas has suspended all flights to Australia until the end of May.

ray

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 3:25 pm 

Working on a couple TD124s, going to sell some speakers. May try to refinish some arm boards. Doing lots of bike stuff, got new I9 Hydra hub wheelset so moving wheelsets around on 3 bikes , new rotors, trying out a custom valved Fox shock etc. Backing up all HDs with new SSD drives.

Changing out fluids on new truck, fixing wife's Fiat etc etc etc.........

Going to spend some quality time listening to vinyl after many months of mainly streaming...

When I run out of beer, I have a fair amount of whiskey....

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 3:57 pm 

Actually I have been working on my pair of Janis W1’s, getting read to sell. When I bought them in late 80’s, I did some mods that would upset the purists. So I decided to put them back to stock as best I can.
The cabinets were pretty weak so I braced them and the stupidly used silicon glue to seal them up.
What a pain in the backside to get the bottom off.
Also cleaning up the veneer and repairing scratches., then a good coat of wax.
I will be listening to them with my Quad esl’s on Sunday

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 4:04 pm 

TubeDriver wrote:
Working on a couple TD124s, going to sell some speakers. May try to refinish some arm boards. Doing lots of bike stuff, got new I9 Hydra hub wheelset so moving wheelsets around on 3 bikes , new rotors, trying out a custom valved Fox shock etc. Backing up all HDs with new SSD drives.

Going to spend some quality time listening to vinyl after many months of mainly streaming...

Funny story about beer. The Governor in PA yesterday essentially shut down all commerce in the state except for "life sustaining" businesses like grocery stores, drug stores, etc. This will probably push back the completion of our new house by hopefully not more than a month. I went out to their site and went through the 5 pages of industries that were or were not considered critical and broke out in laughter when I saw that one of the critical businesses there is beer distribution. Typical PA.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 4:19 pm 

Well, when beer runs out, shit hits the fan. Sorry about the house delays though, it must be frustrating.

tomp wrote:
TubeDriver wrote:

Funny story about beer. The Governor in PA yesterday essentially shut down all commerce in the state except for "life sustaining" businesses like grocery stores, drug stores, etc. This will probably push back the completion of our new house by hopefully not more than a month. I went out to their site and went through the 5 pages of industries that were or were not considered critical and broke out in laughter when I saw that one of the critical businesses there is beer distribution. Typical PA.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 5:21 pm 

tomp wrote:

So -- there is not going to be a CONOVIRUS prohibition? YAY!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2020, 6:58 pm 

I brew my own beer so when your local stores run out I’ll trade for gear. When I’m not doing that I’m feeding my digital audio neurosis. Just installed Ubuntu so I could play around with a Linux music server. Deciding if I prefer Windows 10 or Linux for my Roon server. I like playing Pandora for background music and I can airplay over to a Linux box running headless. Haven’t figured out how to do that with W10. Also playing around with REW, room correction, and convolution with Roon. Would like to build up a second system using my RasPi streamer and a DAC hat (anyone try that yet?) and maybe tube amp.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 12:55 pm 

finishing getting Janis W1's ready for selling.

This the inside of the box. I am leaving the bracing I added in 1987. Just got rid of some stuff I am embarrassed about.
Attachment:
Janisbox.jpg
Janisbox.jpg [ 51.56 KiB | Viewed 7005 times ]

just a standard woofer nothing special maybe for the 80's this was good
Attachment:
Janiswoof.jpg
Janiswoof.jpg [ 38.69 KiB | Viewed 7005 times ]

Shinning a light through the slot
Attachment:
Janisslot.jpg
Janisslot.jpg [ 47.86 KiB | Viewed 7005 times ]

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2020, 1:01 pm 

[quote="Pelliott321"]finishing getting Janis W1's ready for selling.

This the inside of the box. I am leaving the bracing I added in 1987. Just got rid of some stuff I am embarrassed about.
Attachment:
Janisbox.jpg

just a standard woofer nothing special maybe for the 80's this was good
Attachment:
Janiswoof.jpg

There is good news here. The woofer(s) do not have foam surrounds that can turn to mush (or dust) over time. They have coated pleated surrounds that can last a life-time.