DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Considering that Firefox & Edge combined capture 7-12% of browser market share( depending on your data source), I couldn't care less about any wars they might have....

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 4:14 pm 

Walt,

I totally agree with you that Windows 7 Pro was SOLID, and it was a grievous mistake for Microsoft to obsolete it. Windows XP Pro was also a solid OS that I ran for years without any issues. Microsoft's movement to 64 bit environment has been full of problems, my company is still running 32 bit versions of some Microsoft applications since the 64-bit versions are problematic.

Having to support clients and dealing with their issues IS a frustrating challenge when the underlying system is a problem. I am just thankful I am on end-user end of the equation. I know I have had frustrating times in the past trying to provide tech support to family members running Windows systems, particularly my father who was in his mid 80's when I finally got frustrated and took away his Windows 8 machine (the worst ever!) and got him a Chromebook (which serves ALL of his needs). It was really bad with multiple anti-virus software installs battling out for dominance on his machine.

David

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 4:49 pm 

David McGown wrote:
In my experience, this occurs under the following conditions:

1. There is a high CPU demand by an application
2. If you are reading a large amount of data from harddrive.
3. If you are paging (swapping) to a harddrive, usually due to not having enough RAM.
4. You are installing an update or pulling alot of data across the network.
5. There is some process in startup or background that is hogging system resources.
6. You may be in the middle of a system scan (anti-virus or hard drive integrity/optimization)

There is an excellent tool at your disposal to help determine what is going on. It is called "Task Manager". Point your mouse at the taskbar and right click. You will get a menu and select "Task Manager"

This will give the current processes or applications that are running, the performance of the system in terms of CPU usage, memory usage, etc. Often, when a system is sluggish, you will see either the CPU utilization is very high, or the memory usage is high. It maintains a running history of load so you can see the effect over time.

Maxing out memory is pretty easy to remedy, just install more memory will take care of that. If you are running with 4 GB, then you may be under resourced and need to install more memory. 8GB for a Windows system is pretty much the standard recommendation these days. If the CPU is being maxxed out, then it is a program or process that is the issue.

David

Failing HD is the main culprit. Do boot-time chkdsk temporarily fixes it.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 5:44 pm 

I have no issue with win10 with 5 cups running in the house. I maintain them just like i did 1600 cpus when I ran help desk for a city agency i make sure all bios, drivers, and apps are up to date.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 10:28 pm 

Task manager only has the open program window. It does not show the other sections.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 10:37 pm 

David McGown wrote:
Walt,

I totally agree with you that Windows 7 Pro was SOLID, and it was a grievous mistake for Microsoft to obsolete it. Windows XP Pro was also a solid OS that I ran for years without any issues. Microsoft's movement to 64 bit environment has been full of problems, my company is still running 32 bit versions of some Microsoft applications since the 64-bit versions are problematic.

Having to support clients and dealing with their issues IS a frustrating challenge when the underlying system is a problem. I am just thankful I am on end-user end of the equation. I know I have had frustrating times in the past trying to provide tech support to family members running Windows systems, particularly my father who was in his mid 80's when I finally got frustrated and took away his Windows 8 machine (the worst ever!) and got him a Chromebook (which serves ALL of his needs). It was really bad with multiple anti-virus software installs battling out for dominance on his machine.

David

You feel my pain. :cry:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 7:26 am 

mix4fix wrote:
Task manager only has the open program window. It does not show the other sections.

What version of Windows are you using? Windows 10 Pro Task Manager has the multiple tabs. The application you really want is Performance Monitor, which displayed inside Task Manager on my machine. You can open it separately per the guide below. I believe the perfmon is on all Windows systems.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/5- ... ws-10.html

One thing I find dealing with computer problems is a little online research using Google will quickly identify resources to help you troubleshoot and fix issues. Your problems are not unique, and it help you understand more about your computer. There may not be a quick and easy fix, it takes patience to work through the possibilities, and sometimes on a seriously screwed up machine, the easiest course of action is to back up your data and reinstall the OS. Usually you want to avoid that, and if you are only dealing with a minor annoyance that does not seem to impact performance (running applications), then I would suggest just ignoring the issue, at least until it becomes a bigger problem. If you are dealing with a very slow startup issue (which is what it seems by your description), I think that Shashi's suggestion of a disk problem needing chkdsk is good one. Disk fragmentation has been a problem for ages, power issues that interrupt data writes, can screw up the hard drive and make it slower or hang retrieving data from a spinning disk. If we are talking an SSD, then there should not be as much of a problem since it is so much faster, but I have personally seen SSD failures as well. If you are seeing abnormally slow startups with a SSD, then you likely have a more serious problem.

It would help if you told us more about your computer, right now we are just shooting in the dark and talking generalities. We do not know:
1. Version of Windows you are running
2. Computer CPU
3. Amount of Installed RAM
4. Age of computer
5. Type and capacity of drive (hard disk or SSD).
6. % Storage capacity remaining on drive
7. What kind of network are you on? (WiFi, Ethernet?) What is the speed?
8. Have you kept up with OS updates
9. What anti-virus/network protection software are you running. Are you running more than one?

This would make any suggestions we have more helpful to your issue, but keep in mind we cannot diagose and fix the problem, you have to do it, or take it to someone who can.

David

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 7:35 am 

Getting back to the original issue after re-reading the first couple of posts. I think the likeliest reasons is Windows is either pulling down an update across a slow network, or performing disk maintenance at startup. When you reboot and interupt the process, it starts over again. Just be patient and let it complete.

David

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 10:01 am 

David McGown wrote:
Getting back to the original issue after re-reading the first couple of posts. I think the likeliest reasons is Windows is either pulling down an update across a slow network, or performing disk maintenance at startup. When you reboot and interupt the process, it starts over again. Just be patient and let it complete.

David

I agree 100%. There is "housekeeping", there is time to execute a command, and Microsoft will go after updates automatically that can be extensive at times. With current CPUs and plenty of RAM and a fast C: drive there should not be problem; however, if you are trying to run with an older PC that may have been adequate with Windows 7, but as it turns out is antiquated for 10. 10 is a major resource HOG for reasons that only the Microsoft guys looking for their next promotion can explain as to why they went down that road. UGH! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: July 12th, 2020, 1:12 pm 

Windows 7. Would reloading Windows work?

PS: free Windows 10 not available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next