DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 7:28 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Finished. Rebooted, and not loading.

The people in this forum and very helpful.

Suppose, I come to you and say “Finished. Rebooted, and not loading", WTF are going to do?

If you are sincere about seeking help, write a few sentences describing your hardware, your actions and results. Add a few screenshots. The more information you give, better quality of help you get.

Last edited by Cogito on July 16th, 2020, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 8:07 pm 

Did you allow the installer to write to bootloader to the bootsector when it was finished installing? Was there still a Windows partition on the drive hogging the bootsector? What is the message you see when you turn on the computer? If an OS is not found, then try installing again. And follow all the prompts, especially at the end of the install.

Another thing I just thought of is make sure you reenabled booting from the hard drive in the bios. If you set it to boot from USB and not the hard drive, that could be your problem. Usually it is problem when you leave your install media in the computer, and it trys to reinstall.

Don't worry, the first Linux system is always the most difficult one to get running. I know I have screwed up manual disk partitioning on several occasions forcing me to reinstall to get it right. Or find I didn't like the distribution and installed a different one. At least using a bootable USB stick makes reinstallation pretty easy. Not like installing Slackware from a stack of 50 or so 3-1/2" floppy drive images back in the 90's. Man, an install would take hours of feeding disc after disc!

Keep an adventuresome attitude and have fun.

David

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 9:33 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
mix4fix wrote:
404 not found

Try this: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/relea ... -amd64.iso

Started fresh with 19.10

Same thing happens. It finishes loading. After reboot, Linux does not start.

Any suggestions? USB is removed. Hard drive is the primary. All I get is a black screen with a cursor.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 10:32 pm 

If you got a black screen with a cursor, it booted, but not loading the graphical desktop. If you press alt+F1, you should get a login. You might get somewhere if you login and type "startx".

I do not know lubuntu, but you could try the standard Ubuntu distro. Also you might want to try the current release which is 20.04. The odd numbered releases are developmental versions, usually very solid, but sometimes can have a bug or issue. The even numbered releases are long term support (really the stable version of the developmental version, i.e. the 19.10 release.).

David

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 10:44 pm 

Did you unplug the windows drive while installing and checking out the system? Do you have separate drives for windows and linux? You might consider having one drive with linux and install vmware player (free) and install windows as a virtual machine under linux. Also when you turn on the machine push the key (often F8 or F12) to get a boot device menu and see what your options are and try them.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 12:32 am 

The other drives are disabled in BIOS.

I can load Linux with the USB attached. I am responding on Linux. It will not load normally.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 6:17 am 

Try physically unplugging all drives except for the linux drive then install linux and reboot without any other drive plugged in.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 6:40 am 

Sorry for asking, but did you do the install to the hard drive rather than just booting off the USB and running off the stick. These bootable USB images are setup just for that, to be a running Linux system without installing on the target machine. Often used for recovery purposes. During this install, you should be partitioning the target drive on the computer, if you never went thru this process, then you are only running on the USB stick.

Depending on the distribution, there is often an icon on the desktop for installing Linux on the harddrive of the computer. You will need to initiate that process. If you have done that already, and still having problems, then it is something else.

I think I misinterpreted your statement that all you get is a blank screen with a cursor, I thought you mean a mouse cursor rather than a blank (text) cursor. Yeah, that means the OS is not found. This means the bootloader was not properly installed to the disc you are using. If the drive does not have a boot sector, it will not boot. If the boot loader is not installed, it will not boot. The boot sector may be on one of the drives you have disabled. Again, if you did the install to disc, either initially as an initial install option or after booting a system on the USB stick and running the install to hard drive, a boot loader should have been installed at the end of the install process.

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:08 am 

I changed the boot order of the drives, and it boots.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:15 am 

I haven't read most of this thread so forgive me if this has already been suggested and tried, but disable Windows Update and see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next