DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 11:58 pm 

David McGown wrote:
If you are just playing around, then why don't you just install Linux on it. It will run great on older hardware and you will have a much more secure system than running an unsupported OS. Yes, there is a learning curve, but learning is a good thing, and there is loads of support on the internet. Upgrading to Windows 10 will be much more frustrating.

David

Some time next week when I have time, I will replace the drive and load Ubuntu. I also want to run virtual Windows. I will need help on doing that.

If you are working on the virtual machine (Windows), can you download something and save it to Ubuntu?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 6:25 am 

Quote:
Some time next week when I have time, I will replace the drive and load Ubuntu. I also want to run virtual Windows. I will need help on doing that.

If you are working on the virtual machine (Windows), can you download something and save it to Ubuntu?

A couple of things. You will need to check to see if the CPU on your machine is capable of hardware virtualization (INTEL-VT or AMD-V). You can do it in software, but it is so much slower. You will need to have additional RAM for it to work well. There are a number of virtualization programs, Virtualbox is one popular one. You can find some prebuilt images, or can create you own.

The virtual machines act as completely separate computers, each with their own filesystem. Therefore, if you want to share information between them, you have to rely on the network for file transfer. It it would mean setting up your host computer as a SMB or NFS server (assuming you are running Windows virtually) or use a separate NAS to hold your files, which can be mounted to the guest machine filesystem.

Setting up Linux as a host computer and Windows as guests is the best strategy. You want your most stable and resource light OS as the host. Besides, it has all the server tools at your disposal should you want to set up network file sharing.

My experience is doing this as a hobby on my home machines (i.e., I do not do this for a living), and have not kept up with advances in the technology. This is based on my personal experience, all the way back from the early releases of VMWare when it was free for personal use. It sounds like Shashi, and likely Roscoe (and others) do this for a living, so probably best to get help from them for specific problems. There are some excellent guides out on the Internet in setting this all up. It is actually pretty easy to do, and prebuilt images make it a snap.

David

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 12:59 pm 

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9505 @2.83 GHz
8 GB DDR2 (2GB x 4)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

That ought to be fine. I'd recommend the Lubuntu distribution, https://lubuntu.net/

Roscoe

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 3:47 pm 

Any steps to prepare for this?

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 4:08 pm 

for you find someone to do it for you

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

mix4fix wrote:
Any steps to prepare for this?

A full blown linux install will blow away whatever is on the hard drive, so if you have anything on the drive you need, copy it... Of course, if you use a new hd, then it doesn’t matter... If the machine needs WiFi rather than wired networking, you’ll need that information handy.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2020, 11:58 pm 

What about loading the virtual Windows?

PostPosted: July 15th, 2020, 7:18 am 

mix4fix wrote:
What about loading the virtual Windows?

You need to do some research on your own.
Best take one step at a time.

Install Linux and familiarize yourself first. I can show you how to create a Windows Virtual Machine in Linux.
BTW, you would need a license for Windows to install it.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 4:44 am 

Unable to load Linux. Tried two different USB boot-able programs and different versions of Linux but unable to get it to work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next