DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:25 am 

mix4fix wrote:
I changed the boot order of the drives, and it boots.

GREAT!!!!

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 11:38 am 

I can't get by USB DAC to work.

Why does it have different desktops?

What else do I need to download?

How to set up virtual machine?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm 

Please do yourself a favor, and download an install guide for Lubuntu/Ubuntu. It should walk you through configuring the system, including sound.

Also, please remember to update your system. It probably prompt you for an update. Do it. Bring up a terminal and type the following:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

That will probably prompt you to upgrade to the current 20.04 version. Not a bad idea to do so. Be patient, it replaces most of the software on your machine.

There is also a graphical Updater app that does this.

More advanced topic...Getting bit-perfect audio output means bypassing Pulse Audio and running ALSA instead. The ALSA system is used by Pulse Audio for drivers for soundcards and USB DACs, and should detect what you have connected. But the PulseAudio system that integrated desktop sound will tend to convert datastreams to 48kHz, so it either needs to be removed, or you need to configure your card in ALSA. This is probably the biggest pain. Dedicated Linux-based audio server software (like Daphile), already have this straightened out. I would initially get your USB DAC detected under PulseAudio so you know it works, and then worry about bit-perfect later.

As far as multiple desktops, that is the environment, allowing you to have different programs displayed on their own screens back before it became possible to hook up multiple monitors and working across screens. You can work on one desktop if you are more comfortable with that and just ignore the others.

Also, I don't know if you mean different desktop environments, i.e. the lightweight desktop on Lubuntu, or the stock Ubuntu. Often you are given a choice on the graphic login screen to select windows managers. Pick what Lubuntu uses (which should be the default).

As far as virtual machines, you need to choose, download, and install a virtual machine manager software package. There are several out there that can be downloaded. I recommend Virtualbox, which is openly developed and maintained, and there is good documentation for installing and using the software.

Oracle VM Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/

This will require you to read through the documentation, there are quick install guides and FAQs for most of this information. It really cannot be spoon fed easily. Gotta do your research.

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 4:45 pm 

I don't know were "apt" is.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 5:17 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
I don't know were "apt" is.

Find the terminal application. It brings up a command line. The power of Linux is the command line. Look on applications menu for Xterm and launch it

You will get a command line. Type in the following

Code:
sudo apt update

Hit return and it will prompt you for your password

If it fails, it means you do not have networking working yet. Otherwise, it is going to look to the default distribution server and update your list of applications

Then type in the following:

Code:
sudo apt upgrade

Hit return. The password you entered should still be good. It will connect to the distribution server and download and install the latest versions of the applications.

There should be an application called Updater or Software Updater that has a graphical interface to do the same.

David

PostPosted: July 17th, 2020, 5:39 pm 

Right click anywhere on the desktop background and a menu should appear. One choice on the menu should be to open a terminal. Left click on that selection. Then type commands into the terminal.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 10:34 am 

Updated and upgraded.

What's the next step?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 12:14 pm 

Do you want a boot menu to come up when you boot so you can select linux or windows to boot into?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 12:36 pm 

brombo wrote:
Do you want a boot menu to come up when you boot so you can select linux or windows to boot into?

As long as the second operating system is virtual. So, I can always restart back to default settings.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm 

You can do dual boot or virtual. The question is do you have a portable version of windows to install. If you want virtual windows you have to do a reinstall under the virtualization program (VirtualBox or VMWare Player). If your copy of windows is OEM you can't use it if it had been installed on another machine (the virtual environment counts as another machine from what you copy is installed on now). What do you want to do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next