DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 11:08 am 

Every once in a while when I startup my computer, the onscreen pointer of the computer mouse will flash the "circle" image like it is the computer is busy. It will go away after I restart the computer.

Anybody know what causes it, and how to correct it without restarting?

PostPosted: March 17th, 2020, 1:03 pm 

mix4fix wrote:
Every once in a while when I startup my computer, the onscreen pointer of the computer mouse will flash the "circle" image like it is the computer is busy. It will go away after I restart the computer.

If your computer has Windows 10 -- it may not have enough C: drive storage or RAM. Also, you have to make changes to the BIOS - apparently, in their arrogance, Microsoft created a scheme where the operating system shares the D: drive and splits responsibility based on how you use your computer. OUCH! :o Not even close to a good idea! In the BIOS you can force the issue so that your C: drive is the responsible part to take of the operating system only so the D: drive strictly tends to your database.

Additionally, to say the least, Windows 10 is a resource hog. I would expect if you waited you may not have needed to reboot.

Sometimes when Microsoft downloads updates they don't implement until you re-boot -- yet another reason for the delay.

In my case -- things didn't start to run smoothly until my C: drive (SSD) was upgraded to 1TB and my RAM upgraded to 32GB. Plus the issue I just mentioned.

Sadly in the old days -- Windows 3.2 was never broken :roll: -- it just wasn't making any more money. :twisted: Same goes for Windows 7 -- I had no problems with 7. :D

If you need help contact Timothy Bush, SystemSage, LLC (443) 333-0355 http://www.SystemSage.net :thumbup:

His billing rate is $125/hour but worth every penny and he is not a time-clock watcher. He doesn't penalize (rip off) his clients if he is having a problem himself trouble-shooting.

A good guy with a lot of talent at his finger tips (pun intended). He works on both sides of the computer fence -- Commercial/Industrial -and- Private Residential/Home Business.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2020, 9:57 pm 

mix4fix wrote:

Now, it is doing it regardless on how many times I reboot.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 9:30 am 

mix4fix wrote:
mix4fix wrote:

Now, it is doing it regardless on how many times I reboot.

It is nothing more than a cute status icon that tells you the computer is "housekeeping" getting ready for use or when you execute a command.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 11:44 am 

In my experience, this occurs under the following conditions:

1. There is a high CPU demand by an application
2. If you are reading a large amount of data from harddrive.
3. If you are paging (swapping) to a harddrive, usually due to not having enough RAM.
4. You are installing an update or pulling alot of data across the network.
5. There is some process in startup or background that is hogging system resources.
6. You may be in the middle of a system scan (anti-virus or hard drive integrity/optimization)

There is an excellent tool at your disposal to help determine what is going on. It is called "Task Manager". Point your mouse at the taskbar and right click. You will get a menu and select "Task Manager"

This will give the current processes or applications that are running, the performance of the system in terms of CPU usage, memory usage, etc. Often, when a system is sluggish, you will see either the CPU utilization is very high, or the memory usage is high. It maintains a running history of load so you can see the effect over time.

Maxing out memory is pretty easy to remedy, just install more memory will take care of that. If you are running with 4 GB, then you may be under resourced and need to install more memory. 8GB for a Windows system is pretty much the standard recommendation these days. If the CPU is being maxxed out, then it is a program or process that is the issue.

David

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 12:08 pm 

David McGown wrote:
In my experience, this occurs under the following conditions:

1. There is a high CPU demand by an application
2. If you are reading a large amount of data from harddrive.
3. If you are paging (swapping) to a harddrive, usually due to not having enough RAM.
4. You are installing an update or pulling alot of data across the network.
5. There is some process in startup or background that is hogging system resources.
6. You may be in the middle of a system scan (anti-virus or hard drive integrity/optimization)

There is an excellent tool at your disposal to help determine what is going on. It is called "Task Manager". Point your mouse at the taskbar and right click. You will get a menu and select "Task Manager"

This will give the current processes or applications that are running, the performance of the system in terms of CPU usage, memory usage, etc. Often, when a system is sluggish, you will see either the CPU utilization is very high, or the memory usage is high. It maintains a running history of load so you can see the effect over time.

Maxing out memory is pretty easy to remedy, just install more memory will take care of that. If you are running with 4 GB, then you may be under resourced and need to install more memory. 8GB for a Windows system is pretty much the standard recommendation these days. If the CPU is being maxxed out, then it is a program or process that is the issue.

David

And when all else fails you can execute a pyrotechnic re-boot (12-ga 00 buckshot or a rifled 12-ga slug will do nicely). Then afterward you can drop some hard-earned cash in a new up-to-date computer that will become obsolete the day you bring it home. Then repeat the cycle. Meanwhile -- so called updates and improvements come along because of early (premature) release to the public without thorough beta testing. Or -- so-called enhancements without thorough vetting have a cool way of screwing up legacy apps that once preformed perfectly -or- instead of screwing with it they just plain drop support altogether forcing you to spend more money to get back to where you were before the craziness started a new cycle.

Are you having fun yet? :angry-banghead:

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

He's obviously got the Microsoft Virus - Every time he turns on his computer, it boots Windows. :whistle:

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 12:22 pm 

SoundMods wrote:
And when all else fails you can execute a pyrotechnic re-boot (12-ga 00 buckshot or a rifled 12-ga slug will do nicely). Then afterward you can drop some hard-earned cash in a new up-to-date computer that will become obsolete the day you bring it home. Then repeat the cycle. Meanwhile -- so called updates and improvements come along because of early (premature) release to the public without thorough beta testing. Or -- so-called enhancements without thorough vetting have a cool way of screwing up legacy apps that once preformed perfectly -or- instead of screwing with it they just plain drop support altogether forcing you to spend more money to get back to where you were before the craziness started a new cycle.

Are you having fun yet? :angry-banghead:

Walt,

Except for my work computer (supplied and maintained by my company), I got off the Windows bandwagon a LONG time ago. I run Kubuntu on a couple machines, I have a Google Pixelbook running ChromeOS, a few Android tablets, etc. It is not necessarily frustration free, but at least does not suffer from all the cruft that accumulates on a Windows machine, and is not a target for malware or exploits. It is easier to setup a Linux system these days than a Windows system, and it will run well on lesser hardware (being lower resource intensive). Of course, if you are tied to Windows-only applications, it is not a option, but there are equivalents for most applications. Of course, there are Apple Macs as an option as well if you want to spend alot of money.

David

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 12:34 pm 

Roscoe Primrose wrote:
He's obviously got the Microsoft Virus - Every time he turns on his computer, it boots Windows. :whistle:

We are both singing off the same page!

David

PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 1:13 pm 

Walt,

Except for my work computer (supplied and maintained by my company), I got off the Windows bandwagon a LONG time ago. I run Kubuntu on a couple machines, I have a Google Pixelbook running ChromeOS, a few Android tablets, etc. It is not necessarily frustration free, but at least does not suffer from all the cruft that accumulates on a Windows machine, and is not a target for malware or exploits. It is easier to setup a Linux system these days than a Windows system, and it will run well on lesser hardware (being lower resource intensive). Of course, if you are tied to Windows-only applications, it is not a option, but there are equivalents for most applications. Of course, there are Apple Macs as an option as well if you want to spend alot of money.

David[/quote]

That's all wonderful, but my clients all run Windows 10 and while I was happy with 7 after the usual bullshit -- it ran for a solid 10 years with no issues until i ran into compatibility problems with client's newly installed 10 whores. Not to mention issues with WEB sites, eMail, and now the new thing -- the pissing contest between Firefox and Microsoft Edge. It takes me back to the Netscape/Explorer war that was nasty.

As far as invasion issues such as viruses and malware I am fitted with the latest Norton stuff and Malwarebytes. Between the two I have had no problems as they are both aggressive and compliment each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next