DCAudioDIY.com

DC Area Audio DIYer's Community
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some light reading
PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 7:50 pm 

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/_migrated/content_uploads/Klippel_Nonlinearity_Poster.pdf

Post subject: Re: Some light reading
PostPosted: March 9th, 2020, 9:54 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:

With ALNICO magnets shorting rings are not required.

The rings are a "band-aid" to help complete a magnetic circuit with ceramic magnets that the ALNICO magnets did naturally.

There has been a lot of literature discussing this issue in the past.

Of course ALNICO is not cheap, but the cost seems to manageable since major players in the speaker arena are getting back to ALNICO magnets.

Vintage Altec and JBL speakers were and are known for good performance part of the success of their driver designs were these ALNICO magnets.

NICE!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2020, 8:57 am 

Alnico (Aluminum, nickel, cobalt) is just another choice of magnets with tradeoffs ike any other material. The advantage of the shorting ring is that other materials can be used to get a very much higher field strength for less money with the shorting ring mitigating the other problem. Even the guy who is the Altec guru has admitted the advantage of ceramic and shorting rings. One advantage of Alnico for military applications is that its Curie point where it begins to demagnatize is higher than most. One of the problems pro drivers have is that when using Neo for lighter weight when used in the field, they have to incorporate heat sinks on the magnetic structure to keep the Neo magnets below their much lower Curie point.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 9:46 am 

tomp wrote:
Alnico (Aluminum, nickel, cobalt) is just another choice of magnets with tradeoffs ike any other material. The advantage of the shorting ring is that other materials can be used to get a very much higher field strength for less money with the shorting ring mitigating the other problem. Even the guy who is the Altec guru has admitted the advantage of ceramic and shorting rings. One advantage of Alnico for military applications is that its Curie point where it begins to demagnatize is higher than most. One of the problems pro drivers have is that when using Neo for lighter weight when used in the field, they have to incorporate heat sinks on the magnetic structure to keep the Neo magnets below their much lower Curie point.

Not a problem with the typical home audio system.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 11:36 am 

Please explain why field coils are supposed to be better, at least a few manufacturers want on to beleive

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 11:44 am 

Probably because of the reputation of the Western Electric 555 horn driver and the fact you can get higher more uniform magnetic fields with coils.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 11:46 am 
Site Admin

I've got field coil 15" woofers at home. One of these days....

Roscoe

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 12:15 pm 

Pelliott321 wrote:
Please explain why field coils are supposed to be better, at least a few manufacturers want on to beleive

I am not sure why they feel they are better, but as long as you have a DC power supply they're just as strong from the 1st day to the last.

In the early days -- I mean really-really-really early. :character-oldtimer: Field coils were cheaper than permanent magnets and they served as the choke coil in the DC Pi-Filter plate supply.

My grandfather's Radiola console radio had a field-coil speaker as did my parent's RCA console radio/record player.

Even the table radio I had as a child in my bedroom had a field-coil speaker.

There are after-market suppliers selling field-coil adapters for Altec Lancing horn drivers. I was tempted but the adapters were too damn expensive for a "maybe" improvement.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 1:18 pm 

This is another case for shorting rings. To keep distortion to a minumum in a driver among other things you want to keep the magnetic field constant. You would think that a permanent magnet on a driver would yield a constant magnetic force. That is true to a point but remember that a driver is both a motor and a generator. The combination of the driving current plus the motion of the voice coil through the magentic field can cause modulation of the field. That is where the shorting ring comes in (or to some degree the Alnico magnet), effectively shorting out that generated field that would modulate the steady state field.

Using a field coil instead of a permanent magnet can be either good or bad depending on the ability of the power supply for the coil to not only source current to the coil but also sink induced currents coming from the movement of the voice coil through the gap. The old power supplies were not very good about either sourcing or sinking those currents in a linear fashion. With modern electronics you can do much better. The question is why bother? Looking at the resulting performance of modern drivers using permanent magnets, the distortions are in the case of competent drivers much lower than any older voice coil driver. My advice is to pick the driver you want to use based on actual ultimate performance, not on some theoritical design "magic".

PostPosted: March 11th, 2020, 3:38 pm 

Instead of speculating, why not drive down to Dejavu audio and give a listen. They usually have some high-end field coil concoctions on display.